UV Sterilizer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

90gallon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are your thoughts on adding a UV sterilizer? Some people have told me that as long as I keep up with PWC and quarantine any new fish my tank "should" be ok. They also said that it just adds heat to the system and is another piece of equipment requiring electricity.......Any thoughts???

Great question 90. This is one item I am questioning so hopefully we will get opinions. Thanks for saving me a post!

Some1 plz reply, i need to know thoughts on this subject too!
As i am new to SW. I never really needed them for my FW tanks.

IMHO, UV's are great additions to the reef system. They give the water the "crystal clear" look. They also keep your tank parasites-free/less.

A 9W UV works for up to 125G. So heat and electricty shouldn't be a problem. The only problem i can think of is it reduces your pods population.

HTH

I don't use one, for my FOWLR tank. I just busted up a huge cyano break out in my tank by, simply removing the sponges (two at a time, over two weeks) in my filter. Some will swear by them, but I am working on keeping it as natural as possible.

Well I guess it`s my turn now. IMO they are a very useful addition as they will help to alleviate parasites that go through the lighted chamber. They also help to get rid of algea spores that cause bad algea in your tank. That`s 2 good reasons for me.

Well I guess it`s my turn now. IMO they are a very useful addition as they will help to alleviate parasites that go through the lighted chamber. They also help to get rid of algea spores that cause bad algea in your tank. That`s 2 good reasons for me.

LOL! There you go! that is sound reasoning to me.

The only problem i can think of is it reduces your pods population.

Hmm, I would never have thought of that.

Hey Melosu,

I guess I do not really have an understanding of pods or there function yet. I am going to add a 9v UV to my order from Dr Fod. With the pods, should I wait to run this for a couple of months. What happens if it reduces the pod population?

What will happen is your pods will go to the fuge but when they try to come back through the return( That is if you have your UV on your return line like I do) it will kill them. I dont know if you have a fuge or not.

Melosu58, I would appreciate it if you could check out a thread I just posted under getting started, "Hang on Refugium" when you have time. I do not have one so this thread is important to me and it relates to pods and a UV. Thanks for all your help

211deavn, thanks for the link, great info. I am going to buy one.

90 Gallon, I am very sorry for asking all these questions on your thread, I hope you got the answers you needed.

Back
Top Bottom