UV sterilizer inline with Fluval 404?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

born2chill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am limited in space in my 75 gal tank and was thinking about running a UV sterilizer to help me deal with algae and disease breakout. I don't want to clutter the tank with another powerhead so I was thinking about running the UV inline with the intake tube of my fluval 404. The output of the fluval is 340 gph, but I'm not sure what the intake speed is so I'll just assume its similar. Since the gph is so high, I was wondering if a Coralife Turbo Twist 12x 36 watt would do the trick or if I have to get another slower powerhead to run the unit through? I like the idea of running it inline with the intake of my filter since I wouldn't need another pump in the water and since the filter can filter out the dead algae from the UV.

You really need to look at the parameters of the UV sterilizer that you are planning on buying. Most require a relatively slow gph. Maybe you will find one that will work with your stated gph on your fluval.

I have the exact same setup as you here is a couple of things i did:

1) purchased a Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x (rated for 200/400 gph, there is no way the fluval 404 puts out 340 with any media in it)

2) cut my dischage line from the filter (reason why i didnt put it on the intake was because this way the water gets that extra bit of filtration before it hits the sterilizer)

3) installed the sterilizer

BADDA BING its that easy. Best thing i could have ever done. Just make sure there is no water in the lines, and once installed, check for leaks!

Good Luck

SJS :twisted:

I, too, have run a similar setup. Fluval 404 with Coralife 36 UV sterilizer. The 404 is rated at 340 gph at 0' head height. After it is filled with media and pumping, lets say, 4' back up to the tank, there is no way it is pumping any where near 340 gph. The flow rate should be fine.

Thanks for the help. One more question: Does the line from the fluval 404 secure into the UV by itself or is any extra hardware needed? TIA.

The Coral life UV has round rings on the in and out. Just insert the Fluval lines and screw it tightly. But, if you decide to change the 1/2" to the 1/4" of the in and out on the UV. You would need to use plastic clamps to secure the lines.

For a UV sterilizer at 30watts, max flow rate to kill bacteria and algae is 525gph and to kill parasites max flow rate is 175gph

At 40watts, max flow rate to kill bacteria and algae is 940gph and to kill parasites max flow rate is 300gph.

if your running a 36watt turbo twist and your max flow rate for your fluval is 340gph your all good to kill bacteria and algae

HTH

if your running a 36watt turbo twist and your max flow rate for your fluval is 340gph your all good to kill bacteria and algae

You are forgetting that 340 gph is the absolute MAXIMUM the fluval can pump. This is at 0' head pressure, with NO media. I would bet that after accounting for head height (around 4'), 90 degree turns, and media, the fluval 404 is pumping around 200 gph. 36 watts should be plenty.

Back
Top Bottom