uv sterilizer or protein skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meinporsche

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have a 125 gallon tank that i am going to start in a week or so...should i get a protein skimmer or a uv sterilizer? or both?

They do totally different things. A protein skimmer removes dissolved organic compounds from the water and a uv kills anything living that passes thru it. Personally, I never ran a uv and I never ran a reef without a skimmer.

I have had both. I had a skimmer for ten yrs but when it broke I didnt see the need for one any more. They only take care of algea spores and parasites that go through the lighted chamber. If it was me I would say make sure of the skimmer.

I have had both. I had a skimmer for ten yrs but when it broke I didnt see the need for one any more. They only take care of algea spores and parasites that go through the lighted chamber. If it was me I would say make sure of the skimmer.

I think you mean your UV light broke and didn't see the need for one anymore lol. :)

Back
Top Bottom