UV Sterilizer Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have never owned one, and the new tank I just got came with one. So I have a few questions:

JamesR the gentleman I bought the tank from said that the bulb was 3 months old. So I take that I am good on that. I have bugged him so much lately that I am going to bug you with it.

1)I have a small PH pushing water through it. What is the rule of thumb for GPH?

2)I assume that the little clear bubble at the end of it is for seeing if the light is on. I have it plugged up, but there is no light coming from it. Does this mean it's not working?

3)Who manufactures this UVS? There are no names on it but the name of the store it was bought at. Here is a pick of it.

img_404176_0_ab8a5fcb2627551d2e01a8c28d057816.jpg

The GPH pushed through is a factor of the wattage of the bulb and how much time the water is in contact with the bulb (with the turbos there's a spiral inside that causes the water to wind around the bulb). You should call the store he got it from and find out what it is and what the GPH should be. As for the bubble at the end if it doesn't glow blue it isn't working. Probably shot the bulb during transit.

Have you tried doing a search for that model number on google? You might get some more info there if it is a brand name UV.

Everything else going well?

OK I opened it up and it is just a cylinder with the light in the middle. It has a 25w Coralife Bulb that is not blown but yet will not come on. Hmmm...

It is an Aquanetics. Found out that they are out of business. Also found out that according to the numbers on the side of the unit that it is a 15w. But it has a 25w bulb. Maybe thats why it's not working you think?

http://www.aquanetics.com/

Looks like I may need to buy a new one. Any suggestions as brand and amount of watts? Keep in mind I have a 25w bulb.. :wink:

Also would you suggest owning one on a reef tank?

Oh Ya......Everything is going great. I cannont believe that there isnt one leak in the plumbing anywhere after the tear down and transport. It is an awesome set up and I am blessed to have it. Thanks.

I use an old one on my pond. It can clear thick algae from 800 gallons in 4 days. Since it is old, I have to hold down the push button switch for a few seconds to get it to light.

I use it in freshwater since the algae is suspended in the water. In saltwater I notice that algae tends to grow on things and the water stays clear without help. I would keep it handy but not installed until I felt that the water needed a "disinfecting".

Ok Update:

I got my brother in law to come over to put a current tester/reader thingy on it to see if it was getting juice. Plugged it up and BAM it's working... 8)

Checked all the connections and its fine!

I think that it is a priceless piece to have. I went to Home Depot and put a ball valve between the PH and the UV. make sure it is before the UV or you could put to much pressure on the sterilizer housing. The slower the better in my opinion. It depends though. I use a Rio 800 on mine and have slowed it down to almost half the flow.

Glad to hear its working It should definately glow blue, but sometimes when it's mounted you have to really get your eye up to the bubble to see it. The bulb should definately be good, but should be replaced every 8 months or so. I think the bulb was $24 at the LFS, but would likely be cheaper online.

I know some folks don't have the uv, but i always have and have had good luck with my fish, so I can only assue it doesn't hurt!

Jim

Back
Top Bottom