UV sterilizer ? Yes or no

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never heard of anyone claiming they noticed any difference using one. Some have claimed it gave'm clearer water. If you ain't got nothin broke, don't try to fix it. "Lfs trying to sell me one". Classic!

No they aren't. IMO they aren't as good in SW as in FW due to a higher TDS in SW. Additionally you'll need to plump another pump for it as it requires lower flow than usual.

I like sterilizers. I use one on my pond for algae control. It's not necessary but it can make a difference.

If you love equipment, have very valuable livestock, or just like to be super extra mega careful then get one. Otherwise do like every other tank and do your water changes, feed good food, and you should not have any issues.

Fishguy is right, they are cheap insurance.
I can say since hooking a 25w up to the 210g tank maybe 3 weekends ago, I DO have clearer water, I do have healthier fish. They DO make a difference but they are not required equipment for any tank.

Behavior, eating habits, general overall attitude of the tank. I figure since installing it two more pairs have developed so somethings gotta be healthier for them to get into that mood that quickly.
Especially with the discus its MUCH easier to observe the changes in the fish since they are the way they are by nature, I can honestly say My hiding discus dont hide at ALL anymore, even when the tank was bare.

I think its the same Ray, everything hooks up the same, I think Marine addicts used them first to be honest with you, then they came to pond and freshies but I do believe they got their start in this hobby on reef tanks.

I believe they are less usefully in SW than FW. UV kills indiscriminately. That includes pods other life which help a reef tank. The models sold for the industry are almost all undersized for a reef tank, and the window to the bulb becomes coated making the unit less effective over time.

I say skip it for a reef or SW system.

Back
Top Bottom