Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: How often should a UV Sterilizer be used?
Always - Run them 24x7. 2 33.33%
Sometimes - Run them only part of the day. 0 0%
Sometimes - Run them only when you have parasitic outbreaks. 2 33.33%
Never - Don't use them ever. 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2003, 05:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Gauge Send a message via Yahoo to Gauge
UV Sterilizers - Good or Bad?

I swear the most frustrating part of this hobby is that everyone has a different answer. I hear UV sterilizers are awesome and a must for anyone who is willing to invest the money in the tank, etc. And then I hear that they're terrible, and sterilize the tank too much, etc. THEN I hear that I should only run them part of the time and they're okay.

What's the general concensus here, guys? PLEASE comment, and vote. More info will help me make my decision on whether or not to continue using mine.

92-gallon corner tank, 100lbs of LR, 140lbs of sand, 250watt 10,000K MH, 110watts of actinic PCs, Mag 7 return, custom refugium, AquaC EV180 w/ Mag 5

Female lyretail anthias, eyelash blenny, tomato clown, saddleback clown, firefish goby, 2 sand-sifting stars
Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 05:21 PM   #2

It used to be looked upon as it would have damaging effects but, in the same breath, there is no conclusive evidence to either way, which makes it a to each his/her own thing for now. Until there is more research done, I think will will continue to be up for debate. I have run mine 24x7 and no problems keeping anything so far.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
24/7 I use it for if there is any parasites that MIGHT, be in the water colum.
ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 09:35 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
I ran a UV one one of my tanks. I went to replace the bulb and found it had blown out during that period of time. I then realized I did not need one. THus I put it in storage.

UV's are often misused in the first place with to much water flow thru them. THey do not kill everything in the tank but only items that are in the water column and then only whats exposed to the UV light and the exposure has to be for a period fo time long enough to KILL it.

Its not going to damage your reef if you use one but the benifits can be very negligable in my mind.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
i used to use one 24/7 at first, my nitrates were always .o but in 2 weeks they went up to .10. the green hair alga was not affected like some have said. i now only use it 2days before a new fish or coral and 3days after. in case of a parasite on the fish or coral. maybe i'm lucky but i got hit with ich before i used it twice. 5yrs later using it only before and after livestock are added,have not lost anything do to ich. got to say i believe it does affect the NEEDED BACTERIA in a reef tank. just my experiance in the 5yrs i had mine. 8) can't vote because i use mine different.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
believe it does affect the NEEDED BACTERIA in a reef tank.
Hmm, this theory has been documented and is false, simply because the needed bacteria that is in the tank is not in the water column and resides on surfaces of the rock , substrate and tank. It wouldn't have gotten rid of your hair algae problem, because it is not designed for that. Hair algae resides on rocks as well as the substrate and therefore is not a water column algae and would not be affected. The fact that you had hair algae in the fist place would tell me that the nitrates and phosphates were slightly high enough to feed it and allow it to grow. I have also tried different things with mine and never saw a nitrate increase. Which I would have to do some research on that one, but I have to disagree with nitrates rising because of a UV light. I just don't want to give users the wrong idea about UV.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to troutman11111
i can't explain it either,but i had yrs of 0 nitrates,till i put this one on. i love my uv and would recomend it . but just like everything else no two tanks are the same.

75gal oceanic with 20 gal refugium, 750g.p.h.pump for HSA-250 skimmer, EHEIM-1250 PUMP FOR 200gph mincal. calcium reactor with 20lb co2 tank and co2 regulator with solenoid, 800G.P.H. overflow box pump and filter, aquaclearl 500 power filter for circulation and carbon use only,wave maker 900, 3x300g.p.h., pinpoint ph controller, delta star 1/3hp chiller.with 600g.p.h. pump, spectrapure automatic liquid level controller for the addition of ro.di.top off water, kent marine 4 stage delux maxxima 35g.p.d. hi-s, t.d.s. monitor, flush kit, 170lbs live rock, 5in sand bed, acropora's LG green,pink, and med purple, LG montipora encrusting purple, LG porities coral yellow, LG ruffled ridge coral, LG starburst coral green, green hairy mushrooms 100+, blue mushrooms, red mush, fluorescent green mush,green striped mush, bubble coral, LG finger leather and 2in baby, green ricordia mush, in refugium halimeda plant, caulerpa, and lot's of bug's. 1 purple tang, male and female percular clown's, 1 yellow wrasse
troutman11111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com