UV sterlizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshpwolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have this UV sterlizer and Im not sure if I should be using it. If I should be using it how should I have it hooked up.

ForumRunner_20120301_213125.jpg

I don't know what size tank you have so I don't know if thats big enough, but all the water has to pass through the uv for it to be truly effective. so the main pump should be hooked directly to the inlet side.

i have one plummed in to my system on the return pump. But i only run mine when things start to get green or i think i might be getting some naughty stuff growing.... i usually run it for a day to a day and a half when i turn the light on. Otherwise the water goes through it anyway ! you already have it so iwould plum it in if it were me !

I have mine on a separate pump to control dwell time in the uv. Uvs are effective at different flow rates for different things ie low flow like 100-250 gph for free floating ich or 400-600 for algae spores and so on. I keep mine on every other day and my water has never been clearer and the fish have had 0 issues.

Reefnoob84 said:
I have mine on a separate pump to control dwell time in the uv. Uvs are effective at different flow rates for different things ie low flow like 100-250 gph for free floating ich or 400-600 for algae spores and so on. I keep mine on every other day and my water has never been clearer and the fish have had 0 issues.

And I only run my 36w tubrotwist at about 200 gph

tonedogz said:
I don't know what size tank you have so I don't know if thats big enough, but all the water has to pass through the uv for it to be truly effective. so the main pump should be hooked directly to the inlet side.

It would be for a 75gal

Jeffrock said:
i have one plummed in to my system on the return pump. But i only run mine when things start to get green or i think i might be getting some naughty stuff growing.... i usually run it for a day to a day and a half when i turn the light on. Otherwise the water goes through it anyway ! you already have it so iwould plum it in if it were me !

So it is ok to always have water going through it even if light is off?

Reefnoob84 said:

What would u say would be better a slow flowing pump or maybe a faster pump with an inline shut off.to adjust the flow?

Hondatek said:
You can buy an adjustable pump. I have a marineland adjustable powering my uv.

+1 or like you said a ball valve inline after the pump but BEFORE the uv unit. Very important cause some can't take the pressure.

Back
Top Bottom