Vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys

Is there any devices made to 'feed' your fish while on an extended vacation?? Just curious.

There are a variety of auto-feeder devices that you can look through. Most online retailers have them.

Personally, I've trained a friend and prefer that someone come check on my tanks in addition to feeding.

For 5 days or less I don't feed. For anything over that I pre-package a feeding in baggies that I tape to the side of the tank for a friend. They are instructed to feed one and ONLY one baggie regardless of how hungry they look <g>.

They also have printed instructions taped to the side of the items that need to be checked (inlcuding dumped the PS cup).

For 5 days or less I don't feed. For anything over that I pre-package a feeding in baggies that I tape to the side of the tank for a friend. They are instructed to feed one and ONLY one baggie regardless of how hungry they look <g>.

They also have printed instructions taped to the side of the items that need to be checked (inlcuding dumped the PS cup).

Cmor,... Interesting,...I had read somewhere about it being ok not to feed your marine fish for a few days,...does this lead to any tank aggression? I bet they'll be really hungry when that dinner bell rings after a few days.

Well I don't have any aggressive fish. They're all just happy to see me again and come to the corner of the tank when I get home. They wait there with excitement until they get fed. :)

Well I don't have any aggressive fish. They're all just happy to see me again and come to the corner of the tank when I get home. They wait there with excitement until they get fed. :)

Wow,..it just seems like a long time to be without any food ,they must have a really interesting metabolism ,...I know I start to wig out if I hadn't eaten in a few hours,...very , very interesting,...see,I learned something new today, thanks.

Fish can go quite some time without food. In there environment before they were captured, food isn't all that plentiful like there is in our tanks. Main reason people have so many problems with ammonia issues, cycling failures. A hungry fish will search those lil voids in your tank for anything to eat, even if it's a top feeding fish. Auto-Feeders are not to bad, but they don't always give the amount of food you want. If you use flake food for example, you have to make sure no moisture gets inside the feeder, larger pieces, etc. If it clogs, your fish will be out of luck until you realize it didn't feed. I stopped using them mainly because of that issue. They do sell sinking food tablets that last for a few days. Not sure of your fish inparticular but I would check into it, or have a friend do the feeding for you.

Back
Top Bottom