Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Vacation

Hi guys

Is there any devices made to 'feed' your fish while on an extended vacation?? Just curious.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Sliced Bread

There are a variety of auto-feeder devices that you can look through. Most online retailers have them.

Personally, I've trained a friend and prefer that someone come check on my tanks in addition to feeding.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

For 5 days or less I don't feed. For anything over that I pre-package a feeding in baggies that I tape to the side of the tank for a friend. They are instructed to feed one and ONLY one baggie regardless of how hungry they look <g>.

They also have printed instructions taped to the side of the items that need to be checked (inlcuding dumped the PS cup).
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
For 5 days or less I don't feed. For anything over that I pre-package a feeding in baggies that I tape to the side of the tank for a friend. They are instructed to feed one and ONLY one baggie regardless of how hungry they look <g>.

They also have printed instructions taped to the side of the items that need to be checked (inlcuding dumped the PS cup).
Cmor,... Interesting,...I had read somewhere about it being ok not to feed your marine fish for a few days,...does this lead to any tank aggression? I bet they'll be really hungry when that dinner bell rings after a few days.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Well I don't have any aggressive fish. They're all just happy to see me again and come to the corner of the tank when I get home. They wait there with excitement until they get fed.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Well I don't have any aggressive fish. They're all just happy to see me again and come to the corner of the tank when I get home. They wait there with excitement until they get fed.
Wow,..it just seems like a long time to be without any food ,they must have a really interesting metabolism ,...I know I start to wig out if I hadn't eaten in a few hours,...very , very interesting,...see,I learned something new today, thanks.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fish can go quite some time without food. In there environment before they were captured, food isn't all that plentiful like there is in our tanks. Main reason people have so many problems with ammonia issues, cycling failures. A hungry fish will search those lil voids in your tank for anything to eat, even if it's a top feeding fish. Auto-Feeders are not to bad, but they don't always give the amount of food you want. If you use flake food for example, you have to make sure no moisture gets inside the feeder, larger pieces, etc. If it clogs, your fish will be out of luck until you realize it didn't feed. I stopped using them mainly because of that issue. They do sell sinking food tablets that last for a few days. Not sure of your fish inparticular but I would check into it, or have a friend do the feeding for you.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Some fish do need to eat every day, but most can go 5 - 10 days.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Great !! Thanks for the tips guys
Old 12-22-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Some fish do need to eat every day, but most can go 5 - 10 days.
And I just bet that I have the ones that need to eat everyday!......( Trigger/ butterfly )

Tags
vacation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com