vacuuming sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok as you all know i am very new at this I have a deep sand bed about 4inches how do i vacuum this wont a gravel vacuum pull the sand up just wondering yet i have not attempted anything yet and i want to check everything i do before i do it so i dont make any mastakes thanks Jester

If you vacuum your DSB, you will kill it. The critters living in the sand will maintain your sandbed for you ;)

>>Here<< is a good article that will help you understand your sand bed a little better.

Sand bed vacuuming

Ok, so if we're not supposed to vacuum the sand bed, how exactly do i get rid of the hairy lookin algea that accumulates on the sand over a 2 week period. The stuff can get fairly thick?

My sand bed isn't that deep, and I've been vacuuming it as long as i've had my tank, but I have noticed that all the vacuuming has taken its toll -- i've lost a lot of sand :(.

what exactly are we to do?

If you do not have a deep sand bed, then you can vacuum it, but even with a shallow sand bed, it's not required. The algae is a different sory. You need to have a clean up crew to help with the algae and control the nutrients in the tank. If the only place it grows is on the sand bed...that is likely the source of your problem and good waterflow, a clean up crew, a skimmer and RO/DI water will be your best friends. Do you have LR in the tank? Are you using any other external biological filtration? What is your PO4 and Nitrate readings for this tank?

Well, the algea pretty much primarily grows no the sand. I have the normal film that gets easily wiped away with the magnet cleaner, but the sandbed is where the problem algea is.

I do have lots of live rock in the tank, but I don't have a real clean up crew. There is however 1 snail working massive amounts of overtime.

As for water movement, I've got one powerhead on the side of the tank that is pointed both up and forward. In a 20 gallon tank, do I need more than 1 PH?

I don't have a protein skimmer, and I am constantly debating getting one. The only filtration I have is a Skimmer, which seems to be working well.

I would definetly recommend a protein skimmer IME. The water clarity-crispness- is the 1st thing you'll notice. You wouldn't believe what the water looks and smells like a protein skimmer collects :oops:

Back
Top Bottom