Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2006, 08:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Vasoline on O rings in a marine tank ??

I have been having a problem with O rings leaking on my Eheim 2227 wet/dry. I bought the unit second hand and am just learning the ins and outs of this unit.

I was told that "Vasoline" is recommended to control this problem with weeping O rings. I checked Eheim's web site and noticed that they sell "Eheim Vasoline" for their O rings. Can I use regular old Vasoline, the same stuff we've all had around the house for years, on my filter O rings without it causing a problem with any of the living creatures or bacteria in my system?

I also have a thick O ring lube/sealant that I use on the backyard pool filter but am afraid to use that stuff for my tank.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Herm... Vasoline's a pertrolium based oil, I'd guess it would make your skimmer go crazy for a bit, but overall be fairly harmless. I'd go light on it though...

Are these O-rings in a place where you could just wrap threads in plumbers tape instead?

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Are these O-rings in a place where you could just wrap threads in plumbers tape instead?
Nope - They are push-on fittings with rubber o ring seals. One of them is leaking quite a bit while I wait for the replacement o rings to get here from Eheim in Toronto. It has been a real pain in the neck coping with the tank leakage every day. I guess its something that you have to deal with when buying used filter equiptment.
AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

How about hose clamps then? See if the hardware store has new O-rings that fit.
dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
Tex
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've used vasoline on saltwater O'rings without issue.

Tags
marine, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com