Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-04-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
very disgusted sump has crack

We had another leak today, just like the one we had when we were out of town. We thought it was the protein skimmer. My husband found the sump (megaflow system) is whelped and has a crack going along the side where the bioballs go. We have called DrfosterSmith and they are sending us a new one. In order to get the sump out of from underneath stand, we have to pull the stand away from wall. The sump is too big to come out of front. So we have to empty tank to move it. Tell me what you think of this plan. Put rock in a big tote and fill with water for time being. Transfer 55g of water to our 55g qt, add cleanup crew to that tank or should they go with rock? I really wanted to get a pair of clowns this weekend, so is possible to put them in the qt? Also, what about the livesand if we left enough water in tank to cover livesand would that protect anything that maybe in the livesand? As for the conch, where should he go?

Right now, as it stands, the sump doesn't leak all the time, it is gradual leak, so we still have everything running in 75g. But eventually the sump is going to go. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

scrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
I believe your plan will work ok. As long as your rock is not out of the water for long period of time, it should be ok. Your clean up crew can go in either the QT or in with the LR, but might do better with the LR. The LS should be ok as long as it is covered with water. I would wait on the clown, just to be on the safe side. Also I would add a ph to the tub with LR.

Question: Could you use aquarium sealant to cover the leak until the new sump arrives?

If I am off base here, hopefully someone with more experience can speak up.

Learn from others' mistakes. There is not enough time for you to make them all!
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
My husband has slowed the flow down. The crack is up high but moving towards bottom of sump so as long as we keep the water at or below at certain level there is no leak. I had added to much water yesterday to sump which then leaked out. So now I know. I guess we are going to wait another week for fish.
scrmom is offline   Reply With Quote

crack, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com