very dumb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e-cat

Aquarium Advice Addict
im sure that this is a very dumb question but iv heard marine tanks talked about as fish only, live rock and fish, nano reef and reef tank.
whats the differents with then , oviously fish only is well fish only but whats the rest?

Nano reef is a reef tank less than 20 gallons. Reef tank is defferent then fish only in that it contains corals and inverts as well as fish.

Fish only tanks.... Is just Fish no inverts anemones or corals....

Liverock and fish..... Is Fish Only With Liverock... no corals or or inverts...

Reef Tank... Usually 1.5 to 2lbs of Liverock per Gallon.. Anemones, Invertebrates, Corals, Fish, and more expensive lighting....

Nano Reef.... Miniture Reef Same as above but usually 10gal or smaller....

HTH,
James

If it can be better discribed please let me know.. But from my knowledge I believe I have explained this the best I can..

thanx possum and cj for the fast respone's( thats what i love about aquarium advice , you dont 2 days for an ansewer)

cj10488 said:
Reef Tank... Usually 1.5 to 2lbs of Liverock per Gallon.. Anemones, Invertebrates, Corals, Fish, and more expensive lighting....
Not to nitpik but anemones are not reef animals. We just seem to like them enough to put them in the mix. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

The size that a tank has to be to be classified nano is kind of up for debate all over the internet.

Some say 20 gal or smaller others say 10 gal or smaller and others say 29 gal or smaller or 15 gal or smaller.

The real limit of what is or is not a nano is less important than knowing that nano = small tank.

Freshwater folks might call a 20 gal a large system but us salty folk usually think of a 20 gal as a moderatly small system.

steve-s said:
cj10488 said:
Not to nitpik but anemones are not reef animals. We just seem to like them enough to put them in the mix. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Anemones are, in fact, animals. :wink:

http://tolweb.org/tree?group=Zoantharia&contgroup=Anthozoa

[edit]changed link to point to more appropriate group[/edit]

Back
Top Bottom