Very high nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry leo duh of cource i know what fo is had just got off working 16 hour shift.... no i have a 55 gallon long and a new 56 gallon collum .. and yes i use tap water.

I work for a large water municipality and something is wrong when you test no nitrates. I know all are different but there cant be 0 nirates in tap water. Either your test strips are not working properly or you are not testing correctly. When you test your tap water are you mixing it up with the salt mix and letting it sit for 24 hours and then testing it. If it`s a saltwater test kit then you have to test it made up right before you add it to the tank. Make a batch of SW with your tap and then test and see what your nitrates are. Two things that are in tap water is nitrates and phosphates. Both are not good for SW tanks esp. reefs

Nvm i think i will stop posting till app comes out hard to follow conversation on phones browser

Also touching up on what melosu said,

nitrates are not the only harmful thing in tap water. Just imagine all the chemicals and additives used in tap water that you would never put in your aquarium. There are alot of things in there that coral cannot survive with and stuff that will throw your levels very off balance.

One of main things many people overlook when reefing is that our home aquariums are already nutrient rich and our goal when performing maintainance is removing those excess nutrients. Tap is just adding more fuel to your fire.

Oh! Yes I wasn't mixing before testing! That is the problem! Well, I decided to just buy water from the store.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom