Very New and VERY concerned! Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalbodypilot

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody, I've just joined and the info I've read so far is great! I'm glad I found this site. Now on to the question.

As stated, I'm very new and have never had an aquarium before so bear with me if I sound ridiculous. I recently (4days ago) purchased a 90Gal tank/stand and have decided to go with a reef setup. So I went to my LFS and asked what I need and heres what I came home with:

90 Gal tank
Coralife 65 Watt Light
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power heads
Eheim Classic canister filter
Aqua Medic Protien skimmer
Theo heater
and a test kit, thermometer and hydrometer
as well as approx 130lbs of live rock!

I think thats it. I'm not concerned with the setup because most of the reading I've done looks like it's a decent setup to start with.

My main concern is with the live rock. They were talking about how to speed up the cycle and three of the pieces of LR that they sold me are covered in algea (I think) which they said would speed things up( I've attatched some pics of it). I'm a bit worried that this will spread throughout my tank and take it over or just be there forever as thats what I've read on a few sites. Thats my one and only concern as of right now so any help is greatly appreciated. I look forward to any help or advice that you guys/girls can give me!
Thank You
Jason

Attachments

• DSC00498.jpg
    DSC00498.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC00499.jpg
    DSC00499.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC00500.jpg
    DSC00500.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00501.jpg
    DSC00501.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 101
I'm not sure what that green macroalgae is so I'll let someone else chime in on this.
You have some great looking LR. I still think you will need to add a cocktail shrimp or two to the mix to aid the cycle of the tank. That green algae will assist you later in the cycling process and may speed up or eliminate your brown algae bloom.
Do some shrimp and monitor your water. It's still a process that it must go through.

If it is still there or spreading after you finish your cycle. You can go dark on your tank for a couple days before you add any fish and it will kill the algae.

With the light you bought i don't think you will be able to support many corals. Something to keep in mind down the road.

I'm not sure what that green macroalgae is so I'll let someone else chime in on this.
You have some great looking LR. I still think you will need to add a cocktail shrimp or two to the mix to aid the cycle of the tank. That green algae will assist you later in the cycling process and may speed up or eliminate your brown algae bloom.
Do some shrimp and monitor your water. It's still a process that it must go through.

Thanks for the response but what do you mean by add a "cocktail shrimp"? Are we talking about snack food or a live shrimp of some kind. Like I said in the beginning forgive me if I sound ridiculous and thanks again for the help.
Jason

If it is still there or spreading after you finish your cycle. You can go dark on your tank for a couple days before you add any fish and it will kill the algae.

With the light you bought i don't think you will be able to support many corals. Something to keep in mind down the road.

That sounds easy. What is wrong with the light I purchased? Do I not have enough power or will I need different bulbs or a complete new unit?

Oh ya, here's the details off their website if that helps anything

Deluxe Series - Double Linear Strip is a streamlined fixture designed to enhance and complement aquariums. Its compact and low-profile style is suitable where space is limited. The combination of a True Actinic 03 Blue lamp and a 10,000K Daylight lamp enhance both color and clarity in your tank. The lunar blue-moon-glow LED 470 nm creates rythmic glitter and shimmering effects that promote lunar spawning cycles in corals and reef life. These full-spectrum lamps provide the tank's inhabitants with the proper light required for essential biochemical reactions.

Thanks again

Thanks again to everyone and I'm headin to the grocery store right now. I do have another question. When I test my water my readings seem to be completley backwards. my Amonia is non-exsistent, Nitrite is .25 and nitrate is about 18. Is this normal? The tank tank has been set up for 4 days as I stated at the start so I can't think it has already cycled.
Jason

Not impossible. The LR probably got to work as soon as the ammonia got in. My tank cycled very quickly after i added LR as well.

Like was mentioned before 65w is just not enough light to support coral. You would need a whole new fixture. You should look as what kinds of coral you would be interested in keeping and then it is easier to recommend what kind of lights you would need to do that.

Back
Top Bottom