very new to salt water, help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmirtsching

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone! I just set up my sw fish tank 1 week ago. It is a 14g bio cube. I noticed today for the first time, I seem to already be growing some brownish/greenish looking algae. I got my water from my lfs. Please tell me if there is anything I can do to get rid of this before I start adding any inverts/fish. I have live rock in the tank as well. Anyy and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to AA!:)Its prob cyano, if not that its a form of algae, won't really cause too many problems as long as it doest take over your tank, does your tank sit in direct light? Just simply cut back o lightig a bit and it should subside:) some algae growth is to be expected though

Thanks! No my tank does not sit in direct sun light, the tank is in my bedroom, on an inside wall. No sun light hits it. When u say cut back the lighting, since I do not have anything in it except my live rock, would it be ok to just cut the night time lights off like I do my freshwater tanks?

If it's brownish it sounds like diatom algae. Don't worry this will eventually starve itself out. It best described usually ad the beginning of the end of the cycle process. Monitor your levels and some inverts like hermet crabs or emerald crabs will also eat it. Good luck!!

Also if your really interested in learning a lot for a reef aquarium look up newyorksteelo on YouTube. He has videos for every aspect of reef keeping just about. Very great enthusiastic person who truly cares about the hobby as well as new people as yourself.

Water changes to remove the excess nutrients the algae is feeding on would be a big help.
How did you cycle this tank? How much live rock is in it? How long are you running the lights right now?

cyano is red huma, those are mostlikely diatoms, which is a comon algae in newly cycled SW systems. it will start to disappear once the bacteria colony has formed, a CUC will also help

cyano is red huma? what does that mean? cyano is not only red. it comes in many colors. as a matter of fact, it's most commonly called blue-green algae.
diatoms are not green.

Thanks everyone for your help!!the tank has been cycling for one week. And what do you mean by how the tank was cycled? I just put the sand water and rock in and have let it filter. I have not added anything to it the speed up the process if that is what you mean? I have 7lbs od live rock and will be adding more soon before I add anything else. I have been runing the lights 24 hours a day. Is that too much? I have the day and night time lights.

turn off the lights. you do not need them unless you have photosynthetic creatures in the tank. also, you will need to put the tank on a photo period when you do- try to mimic the natural day- 12 hours on and 12 off or something similar. fish and such need a night time.
you don't have very much live rock in the tank and i would think you'd probably want to add an ammonia source to start the cycle. otherwise the bacteria colony you will develop from the tiny bit of die off on the live rock will be minimal, and when you add a fish, the tank will go through another cycle.
there are sticky threads about fishless cycling -
Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

I already have my tank on a timed cycle, it is on for 12 and off for 12, and yes I know I need more live rock than I have, going to buy some more this week. That is what happens when u are on a budget. Where do I get the amonia from?

You can use pure janorital stength ammonia or you can add a raw shrimp and wait for it to decompose giving you an ammonia source. :)

carey said:
You can use pure janorital stength ammonia or you can add a raw shrimp and wait for it to decompose giving you an ammonia source. :)

Wow carey I never thought of that. A raw shrimp ro get things going lol

If ur having green/ brownish algae (diatoms) than u r in the cycle.
Just take ur water to LFS(local fish store) and they will test it for you.
I don't think u need to add any ammonia sources since u already have tank population. What do u have so far for inverts and fish ?
Just go slowly don't add too much too fast. And keep up with the water changes.

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for all of your help! I tested my water and everything was normal. I went to my LFS and got the rest of my rock and he also suggested putting some hermits in the tank. I've attached some pics for you to see.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110802_002501.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110802_002501.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 115
  • ForumRunner_20110802_002558.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110802_002558.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 106
Thanks! I loved how they stacked up perfectly ans it actually made several places to hide and holes for the fish to swim through...that is when I do get to add fish. Lol! I can't wait!

Back
Top Bottom