Very soon to start a saltwater tank need some advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxtoto

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, i have a new 55 gal aquarium with a emperor 400 filter so far. I got some corals and the sand i bought plus a heater,lighting, and test kits.
I wanted to ask if i really do need a protein skimmer and a powerhead OR
anything else i should consider getting for the tank besides this to become successful at saltwater tanks.

I already have a freshwater tank set up 3 years ago thats great and now would like to have a salt water also .

Any replies would be great help. Thanks,peace.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice. There are some incredibly smart people here. It's a great source of information.

In reference to your powerhead question, a rule of thumb that I've run across is that you should 'turn your tank over' 10 times/hour. If you're going for a full blown reef, the turnover rate should probably be even higher.

One suggestion I can make is read, read, research, and read some more.

IMO, The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Bob Fenner is a good book to get your hands on.

Welcome to the addiction!

He is definately right on target with the info he gave you. The first bit of advise that I would give you is to read read read (as he said). I have SEVERAL articles that I have compiled on our (mine and my wifes) webs site that are specifically directed toward the person new to the hobby. They would be a great place for you to start. The book he mentioned is also an EXCELLENT resource.

2nd...dont skimp. This isnt a hobby where you can "get by" or do "just enough" and be successful. Buy the good stuff the first time so you dont end up spending the money again. :wink:

Skimmer is a must...its kinda like asking "I'm building a house...is a toilet really nessisary?" :wink:

Power heads are also vital. They are what keep the tank from developing dead spots....dead spots collect waste and poison the water.

Squishy

Can you give some more info about your tank? How much live rock do you have? What kind of lighting do you have? What kind of corals are already in the tank? I agree that you need a protien skimmer. What type and brand depends on whether you intend to use a sump or hang on back equipment. We can make recommendations either way. You will need a minimum of 550 gph flow in the tank. I would go with a couple of Maxi Jet 900's or 1200's at opposite ends of the tank...use these in addition to the Emp 400. BTW, are you using any media in the 400? Are you using the bio wheels?

Yes here's more info. I was given a big amount of dead coral(more than I would really need). I have a 48" aquarium light with a 40 watt bulb(all glass aquarium brand 6500 bulb) . For the skimmer i would like the hang on back one but please inform me the sump also. For the emperor 400 media i have new carbon filters specifically made for the filter and new bio wheels wil be used.

I hope thats enough info. Thanks for the welcome and for sure i will read more on saltwater aquariums before i actually start.

Thanks again. :D

For Hang-On skimmers I like the Turbo Floater Multi 1000 myself. It can be used as in sump as well later. As for the Bio-Wheels I wouldn't use them..There's no need for them really in SW.. HTH

Back
Top Bottom