Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

VHO, T5, PC for Actinic Supplement?

I have looked for a comparison and cannot find really what I need to know. I am trying to upgrade my lighting, and need to know which type of actinic supplement is the best. This will be to go along with 3x250 hqi MH 20K bulbs. I know you are going to say I do not need the actinic with 20K, but I like the blue hue and I love the dawn and dusk look too. So, to the point, is there really a difference when working with actinics? TIA.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I added t5's to supplement my MH and to achieve the dawn to dusk effect. I considered t5 HO but I wanted a nice subtle light before moon lights and the t5 was perfect.

Old 12-12-2005, 03:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like VHO actinics. PC actinics just don't compare to them IMO. T5's may be a good option also, but VHO's would give you more lamp length and thus more even coverage. Go w/ either VHO or T5 IMO.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

What about heat? Which type creates the least heat for the light that it outputs? Also, what type of difference do you see in the types of bulb, is it color, quality, intensity what? Thanks.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:21 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Also, what type of difference do you see in the types of bulb, is it color, quality, intensity what? Thanks.
I can't remember the specifics, but PC actinics are not "true" actinic lamps. If I can find an article I'll post a link. As far as heat goes I think they are all about the same. If you can deal with the heat from the MH you most likely will not notice any additional heat issues from the fluorescents. HTH

Tags
actinic, supplement

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com