Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Virgin Saltwater Fanatic!

Hi Guys, as you have probably realised from the Subject, I am "the new guy". I have never had the pleasure of running my own saltwater tank. I have been keeping freshwater fish for about 8 years but always wanted to make the progression.

I am being given an already established saltwater tank. It is a Fluval Venezia 190l tank, it has a Fluval external filter and a protein skimmer.

The tank is mostly full of live rock, it has a few corals, a male and female clownfish, a lemon tang and a few other critters which I didn't get to see.

I am really after some advice as to what is the best way to go about setting up the tank after transporting it. I spoke to a local fish shop and they told me that it will be just like starting all over again and I might lose my fish and live rock in the process, which I obviously don't want to happen. Is this accurate advice? Will I have to start all over? As I know the tank has been set up and running well for 5 years, so it is very well matured.

Any help and advice would be hugely appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this guys.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If u transport everything properly and quickly u shouldn't have to start all over. Remove all fish and corals put the in plactic bags or containers. Then remove all the rocks and put them in 5 gallon buckets with some tank water in them to keep them wet. Then remove most the water and leave the sand in the bottom of the tank with a little bit of water In it and move the tank to the new home and set it all up if u don't let any of the rocks or sand dry out u should not need to start over

Good luck and welcome to the AA

paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #3

I am only moving it about 3 miles down the road. I am going to try and save as much of the water as I can. I will keep the live rock in a separate container submerged and as you said the fish in another separate container. I have also been told to not empty anything out of the filter and to transport it full of water.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your best bet is to use as much new saltwater as you can. With all the rock moving, all the detritus build up will be released into the old water. Best to siphon it off and use clean water when you get home. All of the BB is in the rock and substrate. Highly doubt you'll start a new cycle.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #5

Right okay, that's a good point. When adding fresh saltwater to my tank does it need to be a certain temperature? Or can I just pour it in cold and let my heater do the work? Just worried about this affecting the fish.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would make sure the temp and all water conditions are right before adding fish.. new water is the way to go as rick stated sorry I forgot to mention that.
paulweck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlredding
Right okay, that's a good point. When adding fresh saltwater to my tank does it need to be a certain temperature? Or can I just pour it in cold and let my heater do the work? Just worried about this affecting the fish.
When you mix the new sw, you should use a heater and set it to the temp at which you're going to keep your system. I'd do this before the move so that as soon as you get your corals and fish to your home you can start drip acclimating them.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #8

Thanks both of you for your help. I will keep you updated how I get on. Probably looking at doing it late this week. I can't wait to see it set up and running well.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

you don't really need to keep the rock submerged. i would rinse it out in the old tank water to get out any detritus then put it in a box or container and cover it with wet newspaper.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

This would also be a good time to soak your equipment in a 50/50 vinegar & water combination to clean up the buildup on your pumps and skimmer.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com