Vodka Method

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In order for supplemental carbon like that to make a difference your tank has to be very advanced, not necessarily with equipment, but everything else needs to be on target. In any system there will be a limiting factor. Whether it is light, temperature, calcium, nitrogen, etc. there is always a limiting factor. Carbon in the reef is relatively minor and everything else would need to be going well before it will make a big difference.

well my nitrate is 10ppm while my ammonia is 0 and my nitrite is 0. PH is 8.3 i haven't tested phosphates in a while just basic FOWLS tests for now temperature is at 79.5ish read by my digital stat, my lighting is no good right now its just a little 12inch 8000k T8, but since i'm an electrician and my dad owns the company i work for, i orderes a double lamp HO T5 which i'm goign to be putting an anticic and a 10000k bulb in.

my clown fish are acting weird for the past two days by swimming sideways close to the surface of the water, behind the water fall of my filters but i don't see any trouble with their breathing, no clamped fins and they eat normally and sometimes swim normally. i figured i'd try to get soem info on how to lower the nitrate a bit more just incase thats the problem.

How much live rock do you have?

More water changes will help.

Carbon supplementation is generally for SPS tanks where the fishkeeper is having trouble getting the nitrate down to undetectable (no matter what they have 2.0, 5.0, etc.). For other tanks water changes and live rock should take care of things.

A nitrate concentration of 10.0 is nothing for fish. Something else is bothering them if they are stressed.

i eventually plan on putting coral and aneones

right now i have 19 pounds of live rock in a 26 gallon, but i have a friend of mine whose has a guy he buys spiders and stuff from that is selling rock at a 5th of the price i bought it for. i'm doign my first water change this weekend, but it seems that water evaporates quickly enough that i'm doing about a 2% water change ever few days

Back
Top Bottom