Voltage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fireworks

Aquarium Advice Activist
After reaching the point where new fish would die after being in my tank for only 12 hours, I was running out of ideas. My water parameters where better than the lfs in the area and everything seemed perfect except that nothing could live in it. One person at a store on the other side of town asked me if I had a ground probe. ( sorry this is so long) I thought he was just trying to sell me another gadget, but he said every piece of equipment in the tank releases voltage into the water and that 16 to 18 volts was enough to kill fish almost instantly. So I checked my tank with my meter and was amazed to find 25 volts. The ground probe was then installed and the voltage eliminated. Has anyone ever encountered this? and could this explain the recent deaths?

Dang that sucks, Guess I need to check mine. Exactly how did you measure it? you are talking AC voltage right?

Yes AC voltage. Use a multimeter on the lowest AC voltage setting. Place one lead in the water and the other to a known electrical ground.

Thanks, I'll check mine. Never thought about it before but it could explain some of the strange problems I have had in the past.

Back
Top Bottom