Vortech mp10s worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And, push comes to shove, you can always add another one down the road. I never saw the need for one, and you'll see why once you get it set up. It's very hard to explain, but it pushes and pulls water at the same time, so the whole tank is getting flow. Really amazing for such a simple little thing.

Exactly what I was thinking. Plus I like the look of the water swaying back and forth, especially with torches, nems etc.

Probably 2 MP40s. Based on my experience, the 2 mp10s in a 57 are more than enough flow (I run them at around 70% of full power), but in a 110, I think they would be underpowered, assuming you are looking to keep SPS.

Could i start out with 1 or would mp20 be good? Since you have a 57 with 2 mp10 a 110
With 2 mp20s?

Ah that's right forgot about gen 1. Perhaps you could find some used ones though at this point they are going to have had several years of use which wouldn't be ideal. While I can attest to the quality of construction, they do run pretty much constantly and I am sure they eventually wear out.

Sure but 1 won't be enough flow for sps except right near the powerhead.

Well i would start with anenome ans soft corals and then get sps later so i could use 1 mp40 while i have anenomes and softs and then get the second mp40 before i get the sps?

Possibly. You can give it a try. It isn't a lot of flow though in that large of a tank. You will have dead spots.

So your saying put two mp40s on one aide and the other side i could just leave it cause the oter side is where my overflow is and where the water returns or i could just put a seio m820 that i have on that side?

Every pump has its drawback. I think OP should throughly read the reviews from people here AND other forums as well.

From what I have read and see in person, the MPs are not worth it due to my own preferences. I would rather get a tunze.

Everyone has a preference and opinion. Those Tunze are nice pumps too. For me, I wouldn't go with anything but a vortech if it fits the budget.

So what are some draw backs to the hydor korillas? And how much flow would i need for a 110? (Gph?)

It depends on the types of coral you plan to keep. 10 to 20 times the water volume per hour is a good safe starting point.

The hydor koralias are not bad powerheads if you are on a budget. The drawbacks when compared to a vortech are:

-Less flow in comparison to the size
-Much less random flow as they are constant on
-More pump in your display tank vs. a vortech which has 60% of the assembly outside the tank
-More heat added to the system since the motor is inside the tank. The vortech adds no heat as there is no motor inside the tank. This is not so much a problem this time of year, but it can be a problem in the summer time, when most folks' houses are a little warmer. You are already adding heat via a return pump, a skimmer, a reactor (if you run 1), lighting, etc. The less heat you put in the tank, the less likely you are to need a chiller which is expensive, can be noisy, and also costs quite a bit in electricity to run.

EDIT: Ninja'd by convict! :)

Bulky, heat issues as the wet side is the motor. And there stated rate of flow is always off IMO.

It should be noted, too, in the studies I have seen done, Vortech actually UNDERRATES their gallons per hour, as compared to most manufacturers which overrate their pumps.

Back
Top Bottom