Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm thinking about getting the chinese ones for now then i could just upgrade if i have any problems. $85 isn't much compared to the close to $500 I'll spend on vortech.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairlessPotter View Post
I'm thinking about getting the chinese ones for now then i could just upgrade if i have any problems. $85 isn't much compared to the close to $500 I'll spend on vortech.
Same concept for a fraction of the price....most of the stuff in this hobby is made in china anyway

Old 03-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You only need one for a 40b. You can use two, but one is plenty IME. You should easily find one used for $150-175. The $85 you spend on that cheap piece of chinese crap would set you even further back from the MP10... If you're looking at that one, look in to a pair of Tunze 6025's. In fact, I believe MrPillow has a pair for sale in the Classifieds.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #14
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

MP10's, 40's and so on are great powerheads. I wish I had some in my tank, especially since they will sync with my radions.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
You only need one for a 40b. You can use two, but one is plenty IME. You should easily find one used for $150-175. The $85 you spend on that cheap piece of chinese crap would set you even further back from the MP10... If you're looking at that one, look in to a pair of Tunze 6025's. In fact, I believe MrPillow has a pair for sale in the Classifieds.
You think i only need one mp10? Well i won't buy it for a little bit, just planning ahead.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I know you only need one! Only exception would be if you have a tank full of super high flow SPS. I had a 40b with an MP10... and had no flow issues.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its going to be mixed but with a good amount of sps. I guess if the sps aren't getting good flow i could add a small powerhead in the area i keep them
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #18
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I run 2 MP10s in my 57 reef and I love them. I had a tough time at first, but a few people (rookie to name 1) talked me into it... he said buy em now, or by some crap now and you will buy them later. I am glad I listened to that advice. They are awesome powerheads, and they look great. The ECOSmart mode is fantastic. It is easy to setup a standing wave in your system, and then it kicks into nutrient export mode 10 mins every hour. Keeps the sand and rock clean, and still gives that erratic random flow that SPS love.

They are certainly not a necessity, but if you have the budget for them, I would highly recommend. I would have trouble using any other powerhead after owning these. In fact I am setting up a new tank in the next few weeks, and it will have an mp10 in it .
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok you guys talked me into it. I'll definitely go with a mp10. Especially if i only need one, that's affordable.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

And, push comes to shove, you can always add another one down the road. I never saw the need for one, and you'll see why once you get it set up. It's very hard to explain, but it pushes and pulls water at the same time, so the whole tank is getting flow. Really amazing for such a simple little thing.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com