Vortech mp10s worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairlessPotter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Been reading about these, people seem to like them a lot. But do you guys think its really worth the money rather then a couple powerheads? I'm setting up a 40 breeder reef so I'm wondering if i should get 2 mp10s. Would that eliminate any dead spots in the tank?

I haven't had experience with them I think they are too powerful for my setup,if they had an mp-10 version I'd jump on it.(I only have a 34 solana cube)

That's not an MP40 knock off... that's more like a tunze knock off.

And to answer your question, OP... yes... they are most certainly worth it. Look for one online used though. I bought mine used for about half the cost of a new one. Loved it.

I'm thinking about getting the chinese ones for now then i could just upgrade if i have any problems. $85 isn't much compared to the close to $500 I'll spend on vortech.

I'm thinking about getting the chinese ones for now then i could just upgrade if i have any problems. $85 isn't much compared to the close to $500 I'll spend on vortech.
Same concept for a fraction of the price....most of the stuff in this hobby is made in china anyway

You only need one for a 40b. You can use two, but one is plenty IME. You should easily find one used for $150-175. The $85 you spend on that cheap piece of chinese crap would set you even further back from the MP10... If you're looking at that one, look in to a pair of Tunze 6025's. In fact, I believe MrPillow has a pair for sale in the Classifieds.

mfdrookie516 said:
You only need one for a 40b. You can use two, but one is plenty IME. You should easily find one used for $150-175. The $85 you spend on that cheap piece of chinese crap would set you even further back from the MP10... If you're looking at that one, look in to a pair of Tunze 6025's. In fact, I believe MrPillow has a pair for sale in the Classifieds.

You think i only need one mp10? Well i won't buy it for a little bit, just planning ahead.

I know you only need one! Only exception would be if you have a tank full of super high flow SPS. I had a 40b with an MP10... and had no flow issues.

Its going to be mixed but with a good amount of sps. I guess if the sps aren't getting good flow i could add a small powerhead in the area i keep them

I run 2 MP10s in my 57 reef and I love them. I had a tough time at first, but a few people (rookie to name 1) talked me into it... he said buy em now, or by some crap now and you will buy them later. I am glad I listened to that advice. They are awesome powerheads, and they look great. The ECOSmart mode is fantastic. It is easy to setup a standing wave in your system, and then it kicks into nutrient export mode 10 mins every hour. Keeps the sand and rock clean, and still gives that erratic random flow that SPS love.

They are certainly not a necessity, but if you have the budget for them, I would highly recommend. I would have trouble using any other powerhead after owning these. In fact I am setting up a new tank in the next few weeks, and it will have an mp10 in it :).

Ok you guys talked me into it. I'll definitely go with a mp10. Especially if i only need one, that's affordable.

And, push comes to shove, you can always add another one down the road. I never saw the need for one, and you'll see why once you get it set up. It's very hard to explain, but it pushes and pulls water at the same time, so the whole tank is getting flow. Really amazing for such a simple little thing.

Back
Top Bottom