Waiting for an Ammonia Spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
I added two clowns to my 75g on Wednesday and it is now Saturday and I've still yet to see any change in nitrites, nitrates and ammonia. The tank has 80lbs of live sand and 50lbs of dry rock. Should I be expecting an ammonia spike? The clowns are about 1".

Last edited by a moderator:
If the tank is fully cycled, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From what I'm reading : was this tank ever cycled ?

I would bring your 2 clowns back and have the fish shop hold them for you unless you have a friend with a established tank to hold during your cycling stage

you need to add a ammonia source a deli shrimp is a good ammonia source let it spike to 4 ppm , and wait out your cycle , some get a fast cycle other get a slow cycle
since your starting with all base rock it may be a longer cycle

Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

The tank was running for about 3 weeks and I was cycling with fish food. The only problem was I wasn't able to get my hands on a test kit until now. So I'm not sure if it cycled.

in a 75g I wouldn't think 2 small clowns could push a big enough load to start a cycle, but who knows I could be wrong , the only way to find out give it a test , I would still remove those 2 fish just not to stress them , while you add 4ppm ammonia to see if it drops in 24hrs ,

Wish you luck

remember to update

Back
Top Bottom