Waiting for salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabecourter1979

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ow long do u typically have to wait for salt to disolve to take proper reading. I added water yesterday and made mistake of purchasing live rock already. My reading need to be correct before adding Rock I assume. Any advice on this , much appreciated.

When I did my set up I waited a day or so then I put in my live rock. My salinity wasn't perfect but it didn't seem to matter much my lr is doing great and is growing tons of coroline algea. There will be some die off when you first put it in but don't worry it will grow back. Just make sure you have your heater set. I have mine at 76-78 degrees. It helps the salt desolve and stabalize faster.

what are you mixing the salt with? are you using a power head or stirring it or just pouring it in? i use a strong power head in my mixing barrel. it's mixed pretty well after an hour.

Im running everything power heads and skimmer and return pump I mixed it in my tank. Its looking better today just waiting for salinity to be tight then shutting everything down and adding sand . Thanks for your responses.

well, i would not be mixing salt and water together in a tank that had livestock in it. you added live rock instead of base rock, so you must have wanted hitch hikers. these will be compromised mixing it right in the same tank.

Ya I know. I've been trying to set this up for over a year. My wife was in a good mood this weekend so I just got my Rock. That was all I had left. I had nothing really to mix it in. So I mixed it without the rock in it and once my readings were close enough I added the rock. So hopefully not too much damage done.

Back
Top Bottom