wanna switch. need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I would like to switch my cycling 36bowfront to a FOWLR. Currently I have 2 AC-70s for filtration and a 300w heater.

I have the basics so what would actual cost be? Ive been researching for a few months and learning because it really interest me. Someone elses thread made me really wanna do it even more.

What stock could I have? Id like reef safe for future corals when im more into it and have good lighting. Will my current equipment work? What brand of salt can I use? are all sw salts the same? Im sure I missed a few questions but ill add em later when I remember!

If your current cycling tank is freshwater you will need to start again to switch to salt. Your filters will work but are not ideal for salt set ups (constant cleaning) your live rock will be your main source of filtration and I would aim for 40pounds or so. Then you will need sand (or bare bottom if you prefer) You could use a skimmer (not necessary but helpful) a couple of powerheads for flow. In addition to that you would need to invest in a ro-di system, to make water (no tap water for reefs I am afraid) salt water test kits, a refractometer (for measuring salinity) a good salt mix (any marine salt mix will do, some people prefer one brand over another - research what works for you) You lighting will be your biggest investment if you are planning a reef. I think that should cover the basics...

If your current cycling tank is freshwater you will need to start again to switch to salt. Your filters will work but are not ideal for salt set ups (constant cleaning) your live rock will be your main source of filtration and I would aim for 40pounds or so. Then you will need sand (or bare bottom if you prefer) You could use a skimmer (not necessary but helpful) a couple of powerheads for flow. In addition to that you would need to invest in a ro-di system, to make water (no tap water for reefs I am afraid) salt water test kits, a refractometer (for measuring salinity) a good salt mix (any marine salt mix will do, some people prefer one brand over another - research what works for you) You lighting will be your biggest investment if you are planning a reef. I think that should cover the basics...

I dont mind cleaning the filters. Will a hydrometer work?

A hydrometer will work, but refractometers are more accurate (if you have inverts or corals this is important) to be fair i am not familiar with those filters, I know that some people use them (are they like a hob, or canister?) but they are sometimes referred to as nitrate factories if not cleaned often (every couple of days) hopefully someone who has experience with those particular filters can help you more.

A hydrometer will work, but refractometers are more accurate (if you have inverts or corals this is important) to be fair i am not familiar with those filters, I know that some people use them (are they like a hob, or canister?) but they are sometimes referred to as nitrate factories if not cleaned often (every couple of days) hopefully someone who has experience with those particular filters can help you more.

They are aquaclear HOB. These are pretty good hobs if not the best hob

They are aquaclear HOB. These are pretty good hobs if not the best hob

I agree, an AquaClear is the best HOB power filter available today. I have one and it's great! I don't have experience with using it on a salt water tank though.

Okay so with further research im deciding to use instant ocean salt mix. The 5g bucket says it makes 160g of sw. Is that true? That could last me well over 6 months

Also, what gph water circulation am I looking for in a wave maker? I know its not needed without corals but I do know some fish appreciate it

Okay so with further research im deciding to use instant ocean salt mix. The 5g bucket says it makes 160g of sw. Is that true? That could last me well over 6 months

Also, what gph water circulation am I looking for in a wave maker? I know its not needed without corals but I do know some fish appreciate it

I've had great luck with kent reef salt and it makes about 200g, as far as circulation goes I've got 2 koralia 750 powerheads on an adjustable wave maker system and honestly I wouldn't buy another (wave maker) it wears out your powerheads faster and doesn't really benefit you that much IMO if you have your powerheads placed right

I've had great luck with kent reef salt and it makes about 200g, as far as circulation goes I've got 2 koralia 750 powerheads on an adjustable wave maker system and honestly I wouldn't buy another (wave maker) it wears out your powerheads faster and doesn't really benefit you that much IMO if you have your powerheads placed right

Okay what amount of gph am I looking for in a 36g bowfront?

Only reason im gonna go with instant ocean is because its priced fairly well over the others

Edit* how does this look as a shopping cart?
img_2635094_0_65ff6567439f487b3a73cf32e6bc7324.png

You can get a refractometer from marinedepot for $40. Personally, you are much better off. I was using two different hydrometers and they both read between 1.024-1.029 in my tanks. I know they are ALWAYS off. I got it tested with refratometer and it was only 1.020 and 1.022.

You can get a refractometer from marinedepot for $40. Personally, you are much better off. I was using two different hydrometers and they both read between 1.024-1.029 in my tanks. I know they are ALWAYS off. I got it tested with refratometer and it was only 1.020 and 1.022.

+1 on that

Whats purigen? Why carbon? Do I run normal sponges?

Carbon helps keep your water clear, purigen does the same but also filters out ammonia and other unwanted trace elements. Yes you want sponges as well , if you haven't already purchased your hob you might want to look into a filter with a uv sterilizer built in or possibly a canister filter with the same, they usually run around $150-&200

Carbon helps keep your water clear, purigen does the same but also filters out ammonia and other unwanted trace elements. Yes you want sponges as well , if you haven't already purchased your hob you might want to look into a filter with a uv sterilizer built in or possibly a canister filter with the same, they usually run around $150-&200

Do you run purigen while cycling? Im not really a canister guy. I prefer hob to be honest. Im not talkin bad about canisters because I know they are efficient. I just prefer hob

Do you run purigen while cycling? Im not really a canister guy. I prefer hob to be honest. Im not talkin bad about canisters because I know they are efficient. I just prefer hob

I'm not sure about running it while cycling I added it after my tank was already established but I love it , the only downside to it is that it not only absorbs your unwanted waste but also absorbs a small amount of the trace elements you want in your water column but the ups far out weigh the downs IMO

Back
Top Bottom