Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

wanna switch. need help

So I would like to switch my cycling 36bowfront to a FOWLR. Currently I have 2 AC-70s for filtration and a 300w heater.

I have the basics so what would actual cost be? Ive been researching for a few months and learning because it really interest me. Someone elses thread made me really wanna do it even more.

What stock could I have? Id like reef safe for future corals when im more into it and have good lighting. Will my current equipment work? What brand of salt can I use? are all sw salts the same? Im sure I missed a few questions but ill add em later when I remember!

Old 08-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your current cycling tank is freshwater you will need to start again to switch to salt. Your filters will work but are not ideal for salt set ups (constant cleaning) your live rock will be your main source of filtration and I would aim for 40pounds or so. Then you will need sand (or bare bottom if you prefer) You could use a skimmer (not necessary but helpful) a couple of powerheads for flow. In addition to that you would need to invest in a ro-di system, to make water (no tap water for reefs I am afraid) salt water test kits, a refractometer (for measuring salinity) a good salt mix (any marine salt mix will do, some people prefer one brand over another - research what works for you) You lighting will be your biggest investment if you are planning a reef. I think that should cover the basics...

Old 08-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
If your current cycling tank is freshwater you will need to start again to switch to salt. Your filters will work but are not ideal for salt set ups (constant cleaning) your live rock will be your main source of filtration and I would aim for 40pounds or so. Then you will need sand (or bare bottom if you prefer) You could use a skimmer (not necessary but helpful) a couple of powerheads for flow. In addition to that you would need to invest in a ro-di system, to make water (no tap water for reefs I am afraid) salt water test kits, a refractometer (for measuring salinity) a good salt mix (any marine salt mix will do, some people prefer one brand over another - research what works for you) You lighting will be your biggest investment if you are planning a reef. I think that should cover the basics...
I dont mind cleaning the filters. Will a hydrometer work?
Old 08-31-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

A hydrometer will work, but refractometers are more accurate (if you have inverts or corals this is important) to be fair i am not familiar with those filters, I know that some people use them (are they like a hob, or canister?) but they are sometimes referred to as nitrate factories if not cleaned often (every couple of days) hopefully someone who has experience with those particular filters can help you more.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bectan01 View Post
A hydrometer will work, but refractometers are more accurate (if you have inverts or corals this is important) to be fair i am not familiar with those filters, I know that some people use them (are they like a hob, or canister?) but they are sometimes referred to as nitrate factories if not cleaned often (every couple of days) hopefully someone who has experience with those particular filters can help you more.
They are aquaclear HOB. These are pretty good hobs if not the best hob
Old 08-31-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post

They are aquaclear HOB. These are pretty good hobs if not the best hob
I agree, an AquaClear is the best HOB power filter available today. I have one and it's great! I don't have experience with using it on a salt water tank though.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay so with further research im deciding to use instant ocean salt mix. The 5g bucket says it makes 160g of sw. Is that true? That could last me well over 6 months

Also, what gph water circulation am I looking for in a wave maker? I know its not needed without corals but I do know some fish appreciate it
Old 09-01-2013, 02:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
Okay so with further research im deciding to use instant ocean salt mix. The 5g bucket says it makes 160g of sw. Is that true? That could last me well over 6 months

Also, what gph water circulation am I looking for in a wave maker? I know its not needed without corals but I do know some fish appreciate it
I've had great luck with kent reef salt and it makes about 200g, as far as circulation goes I've got 2 koralia 750 powerheads on an adjustable wave maker system and honestly I wouldn't buy another (wave maker) it wears out your powerheads faster and doesn't really benefit you that much IMO if you have your powerheads placed right
Old 09-01-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett706 View Post

I've had great luck with kent reef salt and it makes about 200g, as far as circulation goes I've got 2 koralia 750 powerheads on an adjustable wave maker system and honestly I wouldn't buy another (wave maker) it wears out your powerheads faster and doesn't really benefit you that much IMO if you have your powerheads placed right
Okay what amount of gph am I looking for in a 36g bowfront?

Only reason im gonna go with instant ocean is because its priced fairly well over the others

Edit* how does this look as a shopping cart?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Figured out the gph I will need.

What filter media can I use in the HOB's?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com