Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have been looking around google all night, trying to find info on cleaner shrimp, and searching others problems with the shrimp and every fish in my tank.

75 gal tank

I have two young clown fish, six line wrasse, blue tang, banggie cardenal, and two emrold crabs.

I had three peppermint shrimp at one time, though they slowly became dinner one by one as they molted.

I have noticed my crabs becoming more aggressive, despite the plentiful amount of sea weed and meaty foods they get. One having become larger after his molt tried attacking the cardenal today. Stalked the guy as he passed threw the rocks, almost like a cat.

The six line friended the third shrimp, as I think he got stronger to, but in the end j think the cardenal was the one to get a meal.

The blue tang is healing from ich, as I'm doing water changes, uv, extra skimming, and garlic. The six line has been helping him, but I thought a couple cleaner shrimp may be able to give him more attention. I dont want to just give any thing in the tank a more expensive dinner then I can afford.

Thanks,

Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Try amano shrimp

Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellaasian
Try amano shrimp
Amano are freshwater...

If you are repeatedly losing shrimp to your fish, perhaps provide some more places for your shrimp to molt and hide? In not so experienced with saltwater so hopefully someone can help you a little better than I
Old 08-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I hav a question about the shrimp molding. When they mold, they can't move and just lay flat on the floor? My first peppermint shrimp was molding and fell into the hands of my anemone.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

When they molt they lose their hard protective exoskeleton and emerge with a soft vulnerable exoskeleton so until it hardens they are at a high risk of being eaten but yes they can move after a molt.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thought this was amusing while I fixed everything my turbos knocked over last night lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120806_105715.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	111024  
Old 08-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

My cardinal is such a picky eater. My other fish will eat cloves of garlic, but the cardinal won't go near anything that smells like it.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you are looking for a scavenger AND one that will form relationships with fish and pick off parasites, I have a fire shrimp and he is AWESOME! They are reef safe as well. If you aren't attached to the larger crab, you might want to trade him in if he starts becoming to aggressive and stalking your fish. I also have a coral banded and a peppermint shrimp in there with him.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was considering trading/selling the mid banggie catdinal, and getting two small ones. O also want two cleaner shrimp (or paricite picking shrimp).

Guess I could see about trading the emerald crabs for a coral banded shrimp, I thought they where sup to be mean though?
Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm going to the local shop tomorrow, I'll see if he will take my two crabs for a coral shrimp, and trade the cardinal for a cleaner shrimp, buy an extra as well. Then I can find two smaller cardinals.

I also keep finding the bigger crab in my branching hammer! I think hes eating things off the branch, not the head, but still! He had just become a problem. I'll try catching then now in fact while its dark and I still can :p

Tags
clean, cleaner, cleaner shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com