Want cleaner shrimp, comparability?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkmrsteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been looking around google all night, trying to find info on cleaner shrimp, and searching others problems with the shrimp and every fish in my tank.

75 gal tank

I have two young clown fish, six line wrasse, blue tang, banggie cardenal, and two emrold crabs.

I had three peppermint shrimp at one time, though they slowly became dinner one by one as they molted.

I have noticed my crabs becoming more aggressive, despite the plentiful amount of sea weed and meaty foods they get. One having become larger after his molt tried attacking the cardenal today. Stalked the guy as he passed threw the rocks, almost like a cat.

The six line friended the third shrimp, as I think he got stronger to, but in the end j think the cardenal was the one to get a meal.

The blue tang is healing from ich, as I'm doing water changes, uv, extra skimming, and garlic. The six line has been helping him, but I thought a couple cleaner shrimp may be able to give him more attention. I dont want to just give any thing in the tank a more expensive dinner then I can afford.

Thanks,

hellaasian said:
Try amano shrimp

Amano are freshwater...

If you are repeatedly losing shrimp to your fish, perhaps provide some more places for your shrimp to molt and hide? In not so experienced with saltwater so hopefully someone can help you a little better than I :D

I hav a question about the shrimp molding. When they mold, they can't move and just lay flat on the floor? My first peppermint shrimp was molding and fell into the hands of my anemone.

When they molt they lose their hard protective exoskeleton and emerge with a soft vulnerable exoskeleton so until it hardens they are at a high risk of being eaten but yes they can move after a molt.

Thought this was amusing while I fixed everything my turbos knocked over last night lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120806_105715.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120806_105715.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 153
My cardinal is such a picky eater. My other fish will eat cloves of garlic, but the cardinal won't go near anything that smells like it.

If you are looking for a scavenger AND one that will form relationships with fish and pick off parasites, I have a fire shrimp and he is AWESOME! They are reef safe as well. If you aren't attached to the larger crab, you might want to trade him in if he starts becoming to aggressive and stalking your fish. I also have a coral banded and a peppermint shrimp in there with him.

I was considering trading/selling the mid banggie catdinal, and getting two small ones. O also want two cleaner shrimp (or paricite picking shrimp).

Guess I could see about trading the emerald crabs for a coral banded shrimp, I thought they where sup to be mean though?

I'm going to the local shop tomorrow, I'll see if he will take my two crabs for a coral shrimp, and trade the cardinal for a cleaner shrimp, buy an extra as well. Then I can find two smaller cardinals.

I also keep finding the bigger crab in my branching hammer! I think hes eating things off the branch, not the head, but still! He had just become a problem. I'll try catching then now in fact while its dark and I still can :p

Traded my two crabs for a coral banded shrimp, and got a cleaner shrimp.

My CB is cool! He never bothers my other shrimp and cleans well. Ive heard both good and bad from people about them. I usually try to feed him some of the frozen stuff while feeding my other fish as well (I intentionally put a nice piece infront of him to keep him happy). My fire shrimp and he don't bother each other at all.

nikki_kaiser said:
My CB is cool! He never bothers my other shrimp and cleans well. Ive heard both good and bad from people about them. I usually try to feed him some of the frozen stuff while feeding my other fish as well (I intentionally put a nice piece infront of him to keep him happy). My fire shrimp and he don't bother each other at all.

So far mine has staked ground in a cave, only coming out at night and early morning. He always had his arms out, claws open as if ready to defend himself. Only runs at the fish if they try entering his space.

The cleaner shrimp is very cool, and fun. Hes got his cleaning station, always hanging out, eager to clean fish. Only thing is, none of the fish are interested in his services yet. If they swim real close, hes running out eager to clean, but just scared them away. If I place my hand in the tank, he comes swimming up with no problems of me holding him, the other fish just aren't clueing in I guess?

My coral beauty would get close to mine but the others were like "no way bub" and swim off. If you really want to make him "giddy" so to speak, get some of the frozen foods and give him a little chunk of it! THEY LOVE IT!

nikki_kaiser said:
My coral beauty would get close to mine but the others were like "no way bub" and swim off. If you really want to make him "giddy" so to speak, get some of the frozen foods and give him a little chunk of it! THEY LOVE IT!

I did try this, and after feeding there if often food on the rocks, he seems little interested though. I'll continue trying to entice him with provided food

Bkmrsteel said:
I did try this, and after feeding there if often food on the rocks, he seems little interested though. I'll continue trying to entice him with provided food

Mine go nuts over mysis... If I don't feed them first they run to my lps and try to rip it out of their mouths lol

Give him some time to adjust to the new environment. Mine hid for a little bit. He will get comfy and eat.

nikki_kaiser said:
Give him some time to adjust to the new environment. Mine hid for a little bit. He will get comfy and eat.

Turns out he was molting, been much more comfortable in the tank now.

Mine did that too! I wonder what makes them do that? I had one die on me while molting once right after I brought him home. I'm glad he's happier! =)

I remember reading that its very common for shrimp to molt after being introduced to a new tank. Something about the stress, and water condition change triggering it.

I at one time had three peppermint shrimp, who molted after adding, and where quickly made lunch by the wrasse.

Back
Top Bottom