Want seahorses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloomk

Aquarium Advice Freak
Want to set up a 2nd tank for seahorses. I will do species only with live rock and maybe some compatible livestock but key is the sea horses. My questions:

1) I want a 30 gallon or bigger for water stability but it seems seahorses like tall tanks (like hex tanks) is this true? What shape tanks are best?

2) any other advise for seahorses? I have an established 90 gallon reef tank and I understand cycling, water stability and so forth. Any sea horse specific problems or advise?

Thanks guys/gals

That didn't answer my tank size/shape question. :(

i've heard that even the slightest micro bubbles in the water can get into a sea horses sac and can rot them from the inside. melosu, how did you find using an HOB skimmer, i didn't read you whole thread just skimmed the first few pages. i currently have an emporer280 and i'm using the bio wheel which seems to make a bit of bubbles

I have a biocube 30 G with two seahorses in it, but they are dwarves.....and a 50 gallon with three seahorses (erectus) and another 50 gallon with a redei and an eretcus

I prefer the tanks taller, especially for breeding because seahorses love to dance lengthwise, and long preferred the hex tank

as for issues, always make sure the seahorse is captive bred and bubbles can create gastrobubble diseases in their pouches or skin, especially males, so a protein skimmer is useful, and since I have a biocube, I use the Oceanic 82053 biocube protein skimmer.....stay away from the prism, it caused too much stress for my seahorses and breaks down easily.

Sammy S said:
I have a biocube 30 G with two seahorses in it, but they are dwarves.....and a 50 gallon with three seahorses (erectus) and another 50 gallon with a redei and an eretcus

I prefer the tanks taller, especially for breeding because seahorses love to dance lengthwise, and long preferred the hex tank

as for issues, always make sure the seahorse is captive bred and bubbles can create gastrobubble diseases in their pouches or skin, especially males, so a protein skimmer is useful, and since I have a biocube, I use the Oceanic 82053 biocube protein skimmer.....stay away from the prism, it caused too much stress for my seahorses and breaks down easily.

Protein skimmer IS HELPFUL?

Yes if you can just a vowed bubbles getting back in the tank I have and under gravel filter and I have never had the gasbubbles in my seahorse and there are bubbles in the tank but as little as I an get

Wouldn't any kind of bubble trap stop "champaign bubbles" from getting in DT? Since seahorses need to be fed so much I would think a skimmer would be of great benefit. Just my 2 cents. I have a 60 hex I'm getting ready to put some horses in.

Protein skimmer IS HELPFUL?
-----
Yes protein skimmers are indeed beneficial for seahorses as they eat many times a day; just be aware of the product because any skimmers releasing too many bubbles causes airpockets in seahorses, particularly males

In my interest in getting seahorses I went & visited a breeder near me. He had 1000's of them, it was amazing. I learned a lot, one of which is how hardy captive seahorses are. My home conditions (&probably most people's) are way better so I'm pretty confident about them now. I've been going back & helping a bit now. He says I have an endless free supply so now I just gotta get my 60hex set up for them.

ClamSnorkler said:
In my interest in getting seahorses I went & visited a breeder near me. He had 1000's of them, it was amazing. I learned a lot, one of which is how hardy captive seahorses are. My home conditions (&probably most people's) are way better so I'm pretty confident about them now. I've been going back & helping a bit now. He says I have an endless free supply so now I just gotta get my 60hex set up for them.

What species?

lol, yeah I should have said because that deffinently plays into the hardy factor. The breeder near me is raising "H. Erectus"

lol, yeah I should have said because that deffinently plays into the hardy factor. The breeder near me is raising "H. Erectus"
--
Those guys are beautiful! :D I have many pictures of mine, feel free to check them out!

Hardier of other seahorses and imo easier to breed. They are generally happy go lucky and I have mine trained to come to my hand

Back
Top Bottom