Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Want to add inverts

I have a neglected 37gal tank, but that is about to change. I have 1 pajama fish that has been the only fish for a year. I want to turn this tank into a reef with just the 1 fish and add hermits crabs, snails, button polyps, mushrooms, very easy stuff to maintain. This is my daughter's tank and I can not under any circumstance allow her fish to get ick. I've had a easy corals, inverts, no fish ( sorry, I forgot the acronyms)in a different tank before. I think I've forgotten a lot. Do I need to quarantine all inverts and corals that I want to add? If I do quarantine, should I buy corals and inverts at the same time and quarantine them together, or buy them separate?

Thanks for any info, I feel so ignorant
Jill

Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just acclimate for an hour or two using a hang on breeder box and the drip method

Old 07-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

So you didn't quarantine inverts or corals? In my coral only tank I didn't quarantine because I didn't have fish. I did quarantine any fish that went in my daughters tank, though. I think that is why I'm confused
Jill
Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Same here different corals, crabs and shrimp need different amount of acclimation time, but the longer the better.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

ok, so did you quarantine them in a different tank for 4-6 weeks before adding them to the main tank?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It pretty much fish are more likely to carry stuff that coral or inverts. Dont get me wrong they can but its easier for the parasites to infest the fish. More in which is taking care of the fish and they usually tend to be ok. Im picky when getting my fish I look at every fish in the same tank or is hooked up on the same filtration, ick can spread quickly. Buying a healthy fish and taking care is the best way to cure ick. And ive heard that ick maybe in your take at all time the fish may not be sick enough for it to attach. Hope this helps
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

My LFS quarantines everything he sells. I just acclimate everything that goes in. The whole quarantine thing takes too long that's why I love my LFS.

Tags
inverts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com