Want to add inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyswife

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a neglected 37gal tank, but that is about to change. I have 1 pajama fish that has been the only fish for a year. I want to turn this tank into a reef with just the 1 fish and add hermits crabs, snails, button polyps, mushrooms, very easy stuff to maintain. This is my daughter's tank and I can not under any circumstance allow her fish to get ick. I've had a easy corals, inverts, no fish ( sorry, I forgot the acronyms)in a different tank before. I think I've forgotten a lot. Do I need to quarantine all inverts and corals that I want to add? If I do quarantine, should I buy corals and inverts at the same time and quarantine them together, or buy them separate?

Thanks for any info, I feel so ignorant :(
Jill

So you didn't quarantine inverts or corals? In my coral only tank I didn't quarantine because I didn't have fish. I did quarantine any fish that went in my daughters tank, though. I think that is why I'm confused:confused:
Jill

Same here different corals, crabs and shrimp need different amount of acclimation time, but the longer the better.

ok, so did you quarantine them in a different tank for 4-6 weeks before adding them to the main tank?

It pretty much fish are more likely to carry stuff that coral or inverts. Dont get me wrong they can but its easier for the parasites to infest the fish. More in which is taking care of the fish and they usually tend to be ok. Im picky when getting my fish I look at every fish in the same tank or is hooked up on the same filtration, ick can spread quickly. Buying a healthy fish and taking care is the best way to cure ick. And ive heard that ick maybe in your take at all time the fish may not be sick enough for it to attach. Hope this helps

My LFS quarantines everything he sells. I just acclimate everything that goes in. The whole quarantine thing takes too long that's why I love my LFS.

Back
Top Bottom