Want To Add More Light. Should I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarinaClown

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Folks

I have a new 10 gallon tank that for now has only live rock and live sand in it. I will be adding a clownfish soon. The tank will be upgraded to 30 gallon in 6 months.

I currently have a 30W LED light fixture called StarkLED Flare. I am thinking about getting another one bc I really like the way it looks.
Would it be too much light for a 10 gallon tank? Is there danger to live in the aquarium of that size?

image-2736595510.jpg

I have never seen that light before, but it seems to be fine for your tank. Do you have a pic of the light itself? Is it dimmable? I have never heard of too much light, but some corals and fish need a slow introduction to powerful lights so dimming is helpful. Think of it this way, If you get two then you'll be set for the 30g when you upgrade!

I have never seen that light before, but it seems to be fine for your tank. Do you have a pic of the light itself? Is it dimmable? I have never heard of too much light, but some corals and fish need a slow introduction to powerful lights so dimming is helpful. Think of it this way, If you get two then you'll be set for the 30g when you upgrade!

Thanks. At least someone has an opinion LoL. Unfortunately the light is not dimmable. I am probably going to skip the purchase of another light for now out of fear of algae overgrowth. I will be posting the photos soon. Tank is almost cycled and I already put two true perc clowns on hold at a LFS...hopefully Saturday.
Thanks for your opinion.

No dramas, when will the 30 be up and running? I have had my 2 perc clowns for about 7 months and they are pretty big!

No dramas, when will the 30 be up and running? I have had my 2 perc clowns for about 7 months and they are pretty big!

I'm moving to a new place in 6 months and that's when I will be setting up the 30 gallon. I figured it would be easier to move a 10 gallon than a 30 gallon. Hopefully they won't outgrow it that fast. How big are yours now? Here's the pic of the two I put on hold.

image-2535821699.jpg

Cute! I would say the female is about 3inches? The male is half the size... Pic was taken ages ago, they are black and white percula clowns :)

Attachments

• image-1507563802.jpg
    image-1507563802.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 94
If you blast it full with 20x3W LED for a 10g tank seems to be a bit too much. Do you know how much PAR they give out? Keeping it between 150 to 350 would be the best ideal for your tank.

If you blast it full with 20x3W LED for a 10g tank seems to be a bit too much. Do you know how much PAR they give out? Keeping it between 150 to 350 would be the best ideal for your tank.

image-4257602554.jpg

These are the only specs the box has...didn't see par and don't know how to calculate it. I might hold off on the purchase as one fixture is doing a nice job. Not sure if its normal but I have algae growing one week into cycling already. It could be the strong light causing this or something else. That's why I am leaning towards waiting. Otherwise I would get the same light but red LEDs. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom