Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

want to do SW 55gal but new to SW

I have a 55 gal tank from a friend. The tank is good, but he travels way too much and did not have time to keep it up. He sold everything in the tank and put it in storage. He just gave it to us because we wanted to start one.

We have a 10 and 55 gal FW running. I am wicked intimidated by SW and wondering if I should start one, but my husband and I would love a reef tank. We have heard that if you have never had a SW tank before that a 55gal is the perfect size to begin with. I am in college, have a part time job and a two year old. How much time do they really take? Should I hold off a few years until I'm done with school and little ones?

Also if I do go with SW how hard is a reef tank for a beginner to keep up?

Honesty is best. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know what to say, a bit more work than a FW, so I don't know how much free time you have. I guess another question is, how much cash do you have to spend? Was it setup as a reef or just fish? If it is empty you'll need the at least 60lbs or sand and 55lbs - 110lbs of LR. If it was a fish only, you'll have to spend quite a chunck of cash on the lights...

Old 04-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree that it is more about the money you can spend. I work full time with a three year old and a two year old and maintain my 55 reef with no problems. It's not like the tank has to be a reef tank right from the start. You can set it up then slowly over time do your build. Get your live rock and sand and you can add some fish that you know will be reef safe in the future. Just get it up and running then go slow and learn along the way then you can begin to make it the reef tank you want.
Oh and be a smart shopper, craigslist almost always has good deals and saves you on shipping.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks for the insight. if i start with a FW and get a canister filter can it be cleaned and then used for SW or no?

Tags
55 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com