Want to get rid of Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joy13 said:
The red algae does it come off the rocks easy? I know in one of my tanks I have some red coraline algae, it the nearly the same color as the cyanobacteria.

It comes off real easy!

It is cyanobacteria your tank is probably less than a year old. When you do water changes suck it out as much as possible. Keep lights at a minimum and don't over feed. Sometimes a couple of smaller water changes a week instead of one large one will work. If at all possible don't use chemicals.

I've never added any chemicals to it to date and don't intend to. I'm going to try PWC every week and turn the lights out to see if that works. I'll look into these pad thingys if things don't improve. Has anybody else used these? Will they help with the algae? What was your intended purpose for using them that helped for your tank?

I've never used chemicals. All you have to do is starve it which means kill the lights and take out nutrients by means of PWCs.

Back
Top Bottom