Want to have a reef tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope. So I guess I will be looking for a new overflow.

No progress with the overflow. I am simply ignoring the sound because I do not have patience to do anything about it.
In the meantime, my Xenia was placed lower in the tank and within 6 hours it opened up, and within 24, it started pulsing. Which is simply mesmerizing to watch!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397097435.069627.jpg

The Condy anemone finally found a spot it likes and wow, is it huge. I was seriosuly surprised because it looked so much smaller when I initially bought it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397097520.944630.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1397097551.680403.jpg

There is this hard purple stuff (algae?) growing on my rocks so I will be decreasing the amount of time my lights are on.
Otherwise, I am pretty content. My three lovely fish are happy as pie and eat like pigs so what more can I ask for.

The Xenia hates me bothering the water flow it receives - it constantly curls up like in the picture above if I somehow bother it. Picky little thing

Okey dokey. So I received a free sample from Nuagli Aquarium and I used it for 2 weeks now (except instead of once a week I dosed every day for like 3 days before I figured out the discrepancy in the words week vs daily ...oops)
They claim to have less algae buildup on the glass - which did occur, but it could be due to my 5 year old brother being assigned "a job" of cleaning my glass, which he has done so very diligently for several weeks now.
HOWEVER... There is this disgusting purple algae growing in wisps from the sand in the area of THE most flow in the whole tank - weird.
My Xenia seems to be doing well. Definitely not the shriveled up sad thing that it used to be. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398651897.668146.jpg
My Condy is changing colors from a white tentacle to a tan tentacle (no idea why)
From this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398651975.201975.jpg
To this
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398651994.537730.jpg
This is a picture from about a week ago - it seems to have gotten even darker.
I feed it every 2-3 days and delights the 5 year old with how it drags its food to its mouth.
I also did get another anemone a couple of weeks ago, and it resides on the very bottom of the tank. It has short little tentacles with purple tips, and a nice white foot. I have not fed it in about 2 weeks, simply because I do mot want to stick my hand on the bottom on my tank.
My three lovely fish seem to be happy. They eat and swim and do fish stuff. =)
My tank overflow and filter is super duper loud. I was thinking of buying this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398652310.310166.jpg
I constantly have a problem of an air bubble forming in the overflow tube and it drives me nuts. I have to clean the foam-y thing that overs the intake of the filter but I hate putting my hands in the filter because copepods live in there and they secretly scare the crap out of me. When I have no choice but to stick my hands in there, I put on gloves and pick them out and make all my fish eat them. I will find my courage and do that...even at risk of the copepods attacking me with this squirming little bodies

The reason why the air bubble is forming in the tube is because you aren't putting enough water through it.
And copepods don't attack anything. ;)

Exactly on the air bubbles, and the pods lol

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Its been a while! Still terrified of the copepods... I have the new foam cylinder for the pump, and I still cant get myself to change it. I know it makes no rational sense, but I just cant! My room still sounds like Niagara and I just cant bother anymore (I lost my airline tubing down the tube too)
So my Xenia has grown quite a bit (in my opinion) the pictures do little justice, but here they are!
It went from this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401504785.173702.jpg
To this ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401504815.178650.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401504825.093436.jpg
The stalks have grown and there are more of them - which makes me pretty happy.
Here is the Condy anemone which my two new clowns have decided to try to host - they have mot left the anemones side in 48 hours (stupid idea in my opinion - I think the Condy will make a snack of them) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401504901.630690.jpg
About a month ago, I also bought this anemone which likes to sit in the sand - I want to say Sabae anemone? It has contoured to the shape of the rocks behind me and has not moved since the first week.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401505395.825677.jpg
Unlike the Condy, who moves about once a week from its dark spot behind a rock to the ledge on which it currently sits.

Debating what sort of coral I would like to try next.
And at what point I should rehome the niger trigger. He is about 2-2.5" currently. He initially came in attacked by ich and just sad looking, now he looks fat and happy (I would be too if I were fed squid, fish, clams, etc. 5 times a week) - he has never picked on a single crustacean in my tank!
There is a family owned pet store going put business - might look into a much bigger tank for him. There is a lot of debate regarding sizes for tangs and triggers, etc - I feel a bit scared even asking -
So short of the ocean sized aquarium - would a 220-250 gallon tank be big enough for the happiness and healthiness of a niger trigger?

Back
Top Bottom