Want to start a big predator reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tr3nt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone

Currently I have a 75gallon tank with live rock

Stock list:

2 clowns (pared)
1 copperband butterfly fish
1 lunar wrasse
1 blue tang (very small)
Anemone
And only a little soft coral

Heaps snails, 3 little rock crabs

Ok so I want to start a predator tank ie. Shark, eels, rays... Etc. Obviously not in the 75 I want to upgrade... So please post all your help with what are good stuff to add good sizes of tanks.. Any cool ideas

PIcTUrEs worth a thousand words

How big are you looking to go? Some species of sharks need very large tanks. Rays need very large tanks with a large, open sandbed. I'm tossing around a very similar idea. I would most likely be building a plywood tank somewhere around 4-500 gallon mark. 8'x4'x2'. I would also put the blue tang in whatever tank you get as they need a little more swimming room than a 75.

This guy did an amazing job with his tank. Very inspiring build lol.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...uilding-a-1700-gallon-Shark-Tank-by-black-tip

but even that tank is too small for that black tipped reef shark. it also should be round. the shark will eventually run into the walls and damage itself.

mr_X said:
but even that tank is too small for that black tipped reef shark. it also should be round. the shark will eventually run into the walls and damage itself.

I agree. It was stated on that forum that a bigger tank was needed. Mainly on a structural basis, he did a nice job.

My lfs has a shark tank that is, honestly, about the size of my bathroom. Those guys are massive.

do you really want a free swimming shark? you could put one of these:
Amazon.com: Intex Easy Set 15-Foot-by-42-Inch Round Pool Set: Patio, Lawn & Garden
or these:
24'x52" Intex Metal Frame Above Ground Swimming Pool on eBay!
in your basement.

otherwise, rays need a large tank too, void of rock. they need a lot of sand bed space.

if i wanted a predator tank, i think i would focus on cuttlefish. they are beautiful, and amazing. a short life span, but what a creature!
i would want a 200+ gallon tank, and something with a large footprint (not a standard 200+ gallon tank that's only 24" front to back).

Allright so I'm a pretty realistic thinker and a small pool for a shark is probably bit out of my level ATM... I'm pretty keen on a 200 - 300 size but as you said a good foot print too ensure space what kind of predators am I looking at? Cuttle fish I think I've only seen washed up on the shore haha never in the water...

Tr3nt said:
Allright so I'm a pretty realistic thinker and a small pool for a shark is probably bit out of my level ATM... I'm pretty keen on a 200 - 300 size but as you said a good foot print too ensure space what kind of predators am I looking at? Cuttle fish I think I've only seen washed up on the shore haha never in the water...

Checkout snowflake eels and triggers!

Cuttlefish are amazing creatures. Some YouTube videos will show you all you'll need to see on them.

It depends on the footprint. Some bottom dwelling sharks could be a possibility as long as the tank is big enough. Though at that size you could probably keep just about anything you want, provided they're all compatible.

I would do some research, see what you come up with for a list, and go from there.

Yeah I was close to putting a snowflake in my already tank.... But my mate was gna flush his clown which is a bit small so I couldn't...

Back
Top Bottom