Want to start a marine aquarium, but not sure if I can afford it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klacid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys.

I've just recently gotten into fishkeeping. I've recently finished a freshwater tank, and I'd really like to start working on a saltwater aquarium as a gift for my significant other.

My question is, how much money should I expect to bust on a marine setup? I don't want anything insane - the smallest tank possible for a pair of fish and a live rock. I'm wondering if anyone here has managed to get a marine tank done cheaply. If yes, could you please share pictures of what you've done with your budget?

I'm getting in love with the hobby, and my SO is too, so maintenance isn't a concern. Just the price.

If you are just looking to do a fish only with live rock setup, then you can easily do a 20 gallon tank with a HOB filter and a powerhead. It can be done really cheaply if you do your research.

If you are just looking to do a fish only with live rock setup, then you can easily do a 20 gallon tank with a HOB filter and a powerhead. It can be done really cheaply if you do your research.

For just fish the powerhead is likely your only extra piece of equipment. The wife picked up a couple of cheapie units to heat and mix her salt water, too, think it was a Tetra brand heater "for 2-15 gallon" (it's not adjustable) and a Penn-Plax Cascade 300 with the sponge and carbon/media box removed. Beats the heck out of stirring it yourself!(y)

Interesting! I'll look into it. I've expected needing a billion gizmos just to sustain a marine tank. Thanks.

For just fish the powerhead is likely your only extra piece of equipment. The wife picked up a couple of cheapie units to heat and mix her salt water, too, think it was a Tetra brand heater "for 2-15 gallon" (it's not adjustable) and a Penn-Plax Cascade 300 with the sponge and carbon/media box removed. Beats the heck out of stirring it yourself!(y)

I can mix the water with a canister filter? Nice! Will definitely look into it. Sounds a lot cheaper than I imagined. Thank you!

decent light , hob filter , power heads , hydrometer , heater , test kit , salt , sand , dry base rock , tank ect estimated cost $450 ,

if you shop wisely you can probably save a few more bucks , the type of lighting you choose is the biggest expense , buying online over buying from pet shop can save you money too. you can save even more if you can find some gently used equipment on C List .

when I first got into the hobby I slowly accumulated everything from yard sales , it took a while but it wasn't a big hit all at once.

I can mix the water with a canister filter? Nice! Will definitely look into it. Sounds a lot cheaper than I imagined. Thank you!

Probably just splitting hairs on terminology here, but it's an in-tank/internal filter.

Edit: just noticed I left that out of my original post. Penn-Plax makes multiple Cascade 300 filters, the one I'm referring to is an in-tank filter, not the hang-on-back style, which costs significantly more!

Not sure where you're located, but if you're in the midwest where we have Meijer stores, they are running 25% off aquarium supplies for their ad this week. Both the filter and the heater my wife got for her water mixing bucket came from there!

Last edited:
Probably just splitting hairs on terminology here, but it's an in-tank/internal filter.

Edit: just noticed I left that out of my original post. Penn-Plax makes multiple Cascade 300 filters, the one I'm referring to is an in-tank filter, not the hang-on-back style, which costs significantly more!

Not sure where you're located, but if you're in the midwest where we have Meijer stores, they are running 25% off aquarium supplies for their ad this week. Both the filter and the heater my wife got for her water mixing bucket came from there!

Unfortunately we don't have any of those where I'm from :( But I'll look around and try to find some deals. Very little fishkeeping gear over here, so everything is a ripoff... Perhaps I'll look into ordering online

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom