Want to start new SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tunechi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, I currently have a 55 gallon chiclid tank that iv had for a while. I have lately really wanted to turn it into a salt water tank for something new. I'm just asking if 55 would be good for a starter, and big enough to a have decent tank. I have researched a little bit but always like feedback from people. Also what kind of fish could I have in a 55? I really like clowns so whatever could go with them. Thanks :)

That would be a decent tank but it matters what fish your into, do you like:an want tangs? They need a 6x3 tank for them so stay away haha. You have lots of options for a tank that size after that though. Do you want corals? The SW side is a real wallet drainer, but worth it iMO

That would be a decent tank but it matters what fish your into, do you like:an want tangs? They need a 6x3 tank for them so stay away haha. You have lots of options for a tank that size after that though. Do you want corals? The SW side is a real wallet drainer, but worth it iMO

I really like the clowns, probably my favorite. So whatever's best to go with them... And I know salt water is much more expensive. Around how much would money would you estimate it would take to start up my 55, for coral and a few fish to start?

I really like the clowns, probably my favorite. So whatever's best to go with them... And I know salt water is much more expensive. Around how much would money would you estimate it would take to start up my 55, for coral and a few fish to start?

Firefish are good starters. Also damsels but they can be aggressive. Green chromis are nice fish also. Flame angel

It varies a lot depending on what kind of equipment you're looking for. The higher end stuff is going to cost a lot. Since you're looking at corals, you're going to need some decent lighting, a protein skimmer, a couple power heads and lots of rock for filtration. I'd estimate maybe $300-$600 depending on what you have already and need to buy.

My best guess would be in or over 550. Lights are pretty high, plus rock, ro/di filter, sand, refactor, powerhead, ect. But the cost is worth it. You will be able to do a pair of clowns and a couple of more smaller fish/ inverts in that tank.

Powerhead a
Salt
Ro/ di filter
Sand
Rocks
Refactor
API test kit
Lights
Livestock
Egg crate
Skimmer

If I were to start another SW tank here's how i would do it in this order
Salt
Hydrometer
Heater
2 hydor power heads 1050's
sand
Test kit (Red sea)
Dry rock,(20lbs more later as i added fish) A small piece of live rock will be added later to seed tank with more life.
RO/DI water bought from LFS
Pure ammonia to start cycle
Cheap LEDS from e bay (TaoTronics) lights are not needed to cycle tank so i have 4-6 weeks to get them Same thing with a RO/DI unit
Sump and skimmer as neither are needed on a tank of this size you can keep thing in check with regular water changes

My tank allowance is $ 25 a week

Rule of thumb is $ 25 a gallon when setting up a new tank Talk about sticker shock :eek:

Back
Top Bottom