Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

want to start planning for my larger tank any sugestions

I am curently running a 28 gallon nano cube hope to use it to seed a larger tank up to 125 gallon. I currently own all the normal testing materials and maintenace items as well as a magnum 350 canister filter. Is the a good size for a tank? Equpment needed? All I know is that I don't like the size of the nano and think it would be easier if I had a larger tank. As well as have more posibilitys. I know I want a dog face puffer. Will it get along with my clowns? Another dogface? Corals? I have 7 soft corals now but would like to have hard corals and clams. Lighting sugestions? Thanks AA in advance for advice. I'm not worried about price really if I can't buy the right and good equipment then I wait til I can....

Old 02-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't want to use a canister filter for a reef. It makes Nitrates hard to control, as well as other parameters. You need to get a tank with an overflow and sump. As far as size, it all depends on what kind of fish you want to keep. Are there any particular fish you want to keep?

Old 02-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think the magnum is to small for a 125 gallon. with a tank that large i'd look into a sump. it'll give you all the filtration you need plus you can add a refugium with a deep sand bed to help suck out nitrates. a sump will also be a good place to store your heater and skimmer.

another nice think is the water volume will be larger making polutante less noticable allowing for a slightly higher bio load
Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I know I want a dog face puffer maybe two if you can do that. Do I need a pre drilled in the top or bottom?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want a puffer you need a large tank. You really will want a 125 minimum for that fish, you could keep him with triggers or lion fish.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Can you keep more than one dogface in a tank?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't believe so, they tend to be aggressive towards others puffers of the same type,if I am not mistaken. You could end up with a dead fish unfortunately. You could keep them with some pretty cool fish though, I think an undulated trigger and puffer would look awesome in a tank together.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, I really want a dogface though they are so cool looking.........
Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Any lighting sugestions, want it to be reef but could I do LEDs for energy savings and heat problems
Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can't do a reef with a dog face. You could do FOWLR, I would go with a 125 gallon with a sump set up. Get at least 100lbs of live rock, and get your dog face. I really think you would like a trigger too, look at some of them. The undulated triggers are beautiful but very mean, he would leave a puffer alone. Do some research and see if you like any of the triggers or lion fish. It will have to be a larger aggressive fish to leave the puffer alone.

Tags
start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com