Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2004, 09:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

want to try SW!

I now have a 10 gallon tank free to do what I want, and I would love to try a simple SW tank. I have heard that small SW tanks are very difficult to do, it's better to start bigger when beginning, but is it impossible to do it? I don't have room in my house for any more tanks, and SW fish are so beautiful. I was thinking damsels (cheap but very pretty!). Could it be done?

Old 06-14-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

There are plenty of people that have small (nano) tanks. My 20 gal requires much more work then my 90, but I have not had any problems. The thing to remember is with less water volume if something goes wrong it must be correct immediately i.e a dead fish in the water will foul up the tank fast. you should look at the JBJ nano cubes they are self contained tank that have everything you need to keep a SW tank (even some corals) HTH

Old 06-15-2004, 10:15 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
I was thinking damsels
That should be changed to...

I was thinking damsel.

For a small tank like a 10 gal I cant avocate any more than 2 small fish. When I say small Im talking 1" to 1.5" in size each. The issue with small tanks is how fast the water conditions change. Due to evaporation the salinity will change and require daily top offs of freshwater. If not careful its easy to overfeed or over populate a small tank. Saltwater tanks have less disolved oxygen and therefor can support less fish per gal than Freshwater. If you limit your evaporation your also limiting your gas exchange so you want to promote evaporation as to maximize the amount of oxygen in the water.

Starting your first tank as a small saltwater tank is possible but it will require a bit of work. Expecially in the first few months.

Damsels whle small are also very agressive.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 06:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I don't recommend a 10 gallon tank even for freshwater systems. It's simply way to small. If you have a little extra room, try for a 29H. you could easily get away with 2 Perc Clowns and some hermit crabs. Possibly even a neon Goby.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

even for 2 percula clowns (nemo), you should have at least a 20-30g...the thing is you can get these tanks so cheap now and you could always build a stand or set it on a strong dresser, etc. Keep the 10 for your qt tank, then you know, you will need sand, salt mix, filter, sw test kit, and possibly live rock and a skimmer. I guess the biggest thing is to study and plan out what would be best, but a bigger tank is so much better, IMO no fish should really be kept in a 10g for long, though others may disagree...
Old 06-16-2004, 11:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks for the replies guys, that's what I figured. I think I'll wait til I save enough money for a bigger tank and all the stuff that goes along with SW.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com