Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, LR rubble counts in the total amount of LR being used for filtration. The sump is just a bonus area. I have about 10 pounds of LR rubble in my sump.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question

Ok so the final list of stuff i need is:

Refractometer
Powerheads
Pump
TitaniumGrounding Probe
Ground Fault Circuit
Salt Mix
Aragonite Sand
Test Kit
RO/DI
Skimmer
Live Rock
Sump 30g
Light Bulbs
Light Base
Thermometer controler
Thermometer Display
Thermometer cheap for QT
Quarantine tank 30g
Tank 75g
Pipes PVC
HOB Filter for QT
Timer

Did I miss anything (besides Fish lol)

Old 06-07-2008, 03:16 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I don't see the 2 heaters in your list. You want test kits for pH, ammonia, nitrite and ammonia to start with.

Powerheads - what make/model have you decided on?
Pump - must match the rating of your oveflow
Skimmer - what make/model have you decided on?
Live Rock (1Ĺ - 2 pounds per gallon (110 - 150 pounds)
Sump 30g - what make/model have you decided on?
Lighting - - what make/model have you decided on?
Thermometer controler} Digital Big temp or Lil Temp should do. Why the controller?
Thermometer Display }
Thermometer cheap for QT
Tank 75g
Timer - may need multiple timers

Quarantine tank 30g
HOB Filter for QT
heater for QT
Pipes PVC
Old 06-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #14
Thanx but no.....

'You want test kits for pH, ammonia, nitrite and ammonia to start with.'

I'm not sure you need all these.. I think PH, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite would be a good start. Double testing ammonia and no nitrate just seems wrong to me.. Just saying...

It's hot, the brews are cold and I couldn't resist !

On a more serious note, I've spent some time looking around here.. Most of the answers you're looking for are here or linked from here. You might want to dedicate some time to reading and researching then ask what you don't understand. Asking the vauge 10,000 foot questions is going to take forever to get you what you want.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

ops when i said "Thermometer" i meant titanium heater
and when i said "cheap thermometer" i meant a cheap glass heater one
and the "controller" meant "heater controller"

Refractometer
Powerheads - Two Koralia 4's Two Maxi Jets for when doing salt water, making DIY rock
Pump - I have to figure out my overflow rating and then ask help for brand (i made a mistake my overflow hole is 1.5inch, and the distance to the sump is 40inches)
TitaniumGrounding Probe - dont know brand name yet
Ground Fault Circuit - dont know brand name yet
Salt Mix - Instant Ocean 120g mix
Aragonite Sand - White suger grain sized
Test Kit - Master test kit
RO/DI -ebay
Skimmer - MSX160
Live Rock - Tonga, fiji, DIY

Aragocrete table making show

Sump 30g - DIY

ImageShack - Hosting :: sump3gp6.jpg

Light Bulbs - have to do more research and then ask help for brand
Light Fixture - have to do more research and then ask help for brand
Heater controler - dont know brand
submergable titanium heater 250w for DT (x2) dont know brand
heater cheap for QT - 100w
Quarantine tank 30g
Tank 75g
Pipes PVC
HOB Filter for QT - dont know brand
Timer - (2x)

Ya thanks im kinda new to the forum thing.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Aye Aye Capt., BUT ammonia is such a killer there's no harm in testing for it twice now is there

And yes I did mean a nitrAte test

The list looks like a good start. Do your research on the other items and post your questions about the brands your interested in.

Great planning. You should end up with a succesful tank.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post

You should end up with a succesful tank.

*crosses fingers*

Thanks and everyone was so helpful and replied pretty quickly. I cant wait to make my online journal with my steps and stuff. lol
Old 06-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Judge
A few things I have learned from experience, usually the hard kind to get! melosue is 100% correct on the salt.Oceanic is so far superior. I tried Instant Ocean and if I had a swarm of slugs I wouldn't use that stuff. It is very unpredictable/never mixed up the same way twice. Koralia's are the best for water flow and safety. I HAD an Aqua Clear 70 for a while until it ate my Pin Cushion Urchin. Just sucked him right in. Heaters..definitely titanium, mine has a remote. I went the "cheap" route and had a Visi-Jet Protein skimmer well, you get what you pay for. Now I have a Remora C. RO/DI water cannot be beat. Lighting for FOWLR I would say a PC/HO T5 (JMO). I also run a Marineland Magnum 350...if you get one get the "pro", it has ball shut off valves for ease in changing media. Mine did not so I had to "DIY" valve job on it but it is a workhorse. Just maintain cleaning often...carbon can be a problem if not changed very regular. Can never have too much rock..enough rock and you don't need a filter. So far sounds like yo have received a whole bunch of good advice to mull over. And yes..there are ten answers and verisons of ways to put together a successful tank but remember. WHEN IT COMES TO STOCKING BE PATIENT AND DON'T GO OVERBOARD. That is one of the biggest and yet, understandable mistakes made. We all are ready for some watery friends after spending a good deal of time setting it up but please be patient and you will not be disappointed. Having said that I would concentrate of set up before stocking. Just my nickels worth. Good luck and keep us informed. Pic's are always welcomed.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:36 PM   #19
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
I tried Instant Ocean and if I had a swarm of slugs I wouldn't use that stuff. It is very unpredictable/never mixed up the same way twice.
Even tho I don't use IO, I know for a fact many of the leading experts in the saltwater hobby use IO exactly for the reasons you brought up, except they have a different view. They use it because it always mixes the same and test results are always the same...in other words, very consistent. Sanjay uses it. He just supplements the ca and mag when he mixes a batch as IO is low in ca and mag. I believe Randy Holmes-Farley uses it also for the same reasons.

All that being said, I use Red Sea Coral Pro. It mixes to the levels IO has after the ca and mag supplements are added.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Judge
Yes I agree. That's why I said you can get 10 diff versions/answers. I have read where others have used IO successfully. I bought a big "bag" (another reason why I like Oceanic - comes in a big plastic jug) and following directions on bag each time I got different results, usually higher than say 1.025 and it never seemed to want to quickly/completely mix up. Never had that problem with Oceanic. Maybe it's my water, who knows. I use RO/DI. JMHO. I have never had to add any supplements either.

Tags
75g, build, tan, tank build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com