want2findnemo's 75g tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never mind, I just realized this thread had nine pages, and was answering a question from the first page....my bad....

Anyway, tank looks great! You are off to a good start. The chromis are a good choice.

I put some full tank shots on page 7. Not much has changed except the rocks are a bit more green and there are a lot of purple dots on the rocks and powerheads...

... that and the three fish!

Got purple firefish in QT...

Gotta wait some weeks before I put those in.

Background: I am a new hobbyist and trying to get a FOWLR setup for my house. I started off knowing nothing about keeping marine fish. But I have worked hard to learn. Right now all I have is a tank full of freshwater. The tank is in my basement away from the sun and it is mounted on a stand. I am very eager to get into this hobby.

Tank: 48x18x20. There is a Hole on the side of the tank that is about 1 inch from the top and the hole is about 2inch in diameter.

ImageShack - Hosting :: tankxu9.jpg

At first I had no idea why there was a hole in my tank. But I did some reading and found out that it is probably for something called a sump and that a sump could also contain a something called a refugium.

Equipment: In terms of equipment I have nothing. I have spent my spare time the past few weeks reading websites and bought three books. “The new marine aquarium”, “Saltwater aquariums for dummies”, and “The new encyclopedia of the saltwater aquarium”

In terms of equipment, as far as I understand I need the following?
(Please let me know if I’m missing or if I have too much)

A submergible electric heater
(how many watts and what is a model?)
A Protein Skimmer
(how big and what is a good model?)
A few powerheads (2?)
(what is a good model)
A pump, to pump water from the sump fugium back up to the tank
A powerfilter
A Timer
Test Kits (ammonia, nitrate and nitrite)
refractometer

Salt mix
(what is a good type?)

Live rock ( 60lbs)

Lighting
(what kind of bulbs?)
Thermometer
Timer
Buckets and sponges and nets
Sumpfugium
(I plan to make my own, following some DIY guides to custom fit my space)
(Should I include a Wet/Dry bioball type filter in the sump?)
I plan on making something like this…

ImageShack - Hosting :: sumpni0.jpg

For tank cleaners I found this list online: (please let me know if this is ok and if they are compatible with my tank size, FOWLR setup and fish selections)

Hermit Crabs, Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits, Trochus Snails, Mexican Turbo Snails, Cerrith Snails, Emerald Crabs, Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Lawnmower Blenny, fighting conch,

Fish: I’ve read that I should choose my fish first so I have checked out some compatibility charts and I’ve read that for each gallon I should have 1-1.5 inch of fish (full grown size minus tail). This is the list of fish I plan on keeping. ( But please let me know if they are compatible with the other stuff like equipment and such) I’m also not too sure on the order to introduce them into the tank.

| Flame Angel Fish (one)
|Royal Gramma Basslet (one)
|Jeweled Bleeny (one)
|Threadfin Cardinalfish (three introduced to tank at same time)
|Orangestriped cardinalfish (three introduced to tank at same time)
|Ocellaris Clownfish (three introduced to tank at same time)
|Green Mandarinfish (two introduced to tank at same time)
|Catalina Goby (three introduced to tank at same time)
|Foxface Rabbitfish (one)
|Yellow Tank (one)
|Pacific Blue Tang (one)
|yellow streaked fairy wrasse (one)
|filamented flasher wrasse (three, females first than one male)

For a Total of 97.5 inches of fish full grown

Live Rock: Also if I am to cure my live rock this is what my understanding is… I can buy a rubber garbage can and fill it with salt water making sure it is ok with a hydrometer and keep the water at like 80F and have a powerhead in there and let it run with minimal light distrubance. Doing partial changes of water every 2-3 days and rotated the rocks ever 2-3 days? And continue this for four weeks?

I’ve read some sites and they say to smell the rock when buying it from the store. What is it suppose to smell like? How does cured live rock look like and how does uncured live rock look like? How do I transport it from the store to my house?

Conclusion: I know I put like a whole story together, but I have a lot of questions and being new I would like to make sure im going in knowledgeable so that I can minimize screw-up’s. I will be taking pictures and posting my progress.

Thank you everyone in advanced for your advice and guidance. When replying please remember that I am new so I am very ignorant in this hobby so helpful non hateful comments only… thanks!
The supplies looks good but fish dont no.2 tangs in 1 aquarium will get in fights.Also a foxface rabbitfish is venoums on it fins.But the rest looks good

Sorry I was unable to edit that post.

But this thread is my build so that was my post in the beginning, before I met the people on this forum. They have helped me get to where I am now....

dsc06512zv3.jpg

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone had a great Holiday and New years...

Been busy with work so have not updated in a while. The tank is nice and purple now.

Here are some updated pics...

dsc06597kx1.jpg

dsc06598fj9.jpg

dsc06698dd4.jpg

dsc06673yh1.jpg

Cespitularia sp.

dsc06672jj3.jpg

3 head Aussie duncan frag has grown two other heads and now some smaller ones are appearing...

dsc06683hb8.jpg

dsc06667fv6.jpg

dsc06668xf8.jpg

dsc06669qz1.jpg

The bleached frogspawn got its color back (kinda liked the bleached color better)

dsc06670cg2.jpg

The lobo has grown pretty big and there is a cool yellow sponge on the side

dsc06675ri2.jpg

dsc06681yv3.jpg

The 1/4 inch frag has grown a lot...

dsc06686ob3.jpg

dsc06690vg2.jpg

My favorite guy has doubled in size since I got him...

dsc06638yd3.jpg

Can't see everything in this fts (like the anenome who likes to move in between cracks out of site =( ). Gonna do a second bigger tank, and my bro wants a nano...

That`s a very nice tank. Keep an eye on that flame. I had one that almost wrecked my reef after 4 yrs of good behavior. All of a sudden he went after my frogspawn and hammer coral.

I owe it to all you guys for helping me...

I knew absolutely nothing about this hobby, and you guys educated me and helped me when I needed advice, guided me when I was lost...

Thank you very much.

I have read that the flames change diet as they grow older. If he give trouble ill have to move him to the other tank.

I think I saw a post by innovator (James) about training these guys not to eat corals but I`ve never had the patience but keep an eye out for him. No, thank you for posting such a nice looking tank.

Back
Top Bottom