Wanting A "PET" Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was woundering if any one had any suggestions of a fish or invert that becomes like a pet, I have heard of seahorses and octopuses becoming much like pets but I am wanting one for a nano tank. Does Any one have any suggestions. It is only a 12 gal tank ?

not sure if its true, but i heard that clowns do, and i think you could have a pair in a 12 gallon

Puffers. Dwarf puffers would be nice in that size. You could keep a figure 8 as I believe they only get to be about 2 or 3 inches. They need brackish at first and later salt. I've kept quite a few puffers before and they've all been very "pet" like. We had one that would jump out of the water and take food from your hands, but it was a GSP. Octupus only live for about 2 years, but they can be taught to do tons of neat tricks if you're able to keep them alive in the first place. In particular i've heard you can put their food in a jar with a screw on lid and they'll get it out.

ya, i didnt really know about clowns as far as what size tank to have them in. I thought i saw somewhere you could do a pair in 12 gal.

and i forgot about the shrimp too...very cool lookin things

so a pair of clowns and a shrimp lol ?

Do starfish become friendly?

i'd wait for someone here to make sure that the clown pair would be good in a 12...i thought i had seen that somewhere, but i've never had them, so i dont know

Cleaner shrimp is by far my favorite animal in my tank. He is always the first to be at my hand when its in the tank.

Without a doubt, the panther grouper is the most "pet" like fish I have ever kept. To bad your tank is too small.

Triggers are cool to, but they will bite you.....kinda like a parrot I guess! :lol:

In fresh water, I had a huge arowana that was pretty cool too.

The coolest "pet" i've ever had was my green chromis. Whenever i put my hand in the tank to do something, it would come and swim around my hand with its stomach touching my hand! Crazy lil thing :)

Back
Top Bottom