Wanting Tips on What to look for For a Shark Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommy Fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got my son started with his first tank and he LOVES it. It's a fresh water tank so it's a whole different world from what my husband wants. While in our local fish store my husband saw a newly hatched marble cat shark and realized that it was more than likely the same breed of shark that he had gotten in Korea, that is a tragic story not going into it. When he saw the shark though it gave me the idea of looking into getting him a salt water tank for this kind of shark for our anniversary and his birthday.
First off I was wondering how big of a tank I should get as a minimum size for this kind of shark, what else can go in a tank with it, and where is a good place to research these sharks. I have found with the fresh fish there are hundreds of sites to look at and some are not very reliable.

Amazing gift! So it sounds like he has kept sharks before? I am no shark expert but I know they are considered an expert level creature. Live aquaria says minimum 300g for that species. If it was me and I had the room (and the cash!) I would get a custom tank made that has a longer footprint. Most standard tanks will be deep which is really unnecessary for the shark. Round corners are also recommended. There is a guy here who keeps sharks, I hope he doesn't mind me dropping his name here. He has an amazing 1000g tank! I find personal experience the most valuable when it comes to anything saltwater...

Amazing gift! So it sounds like he has kept sharks before? I am no shark expert but I know they are considered an expert level creature. Live aquaria says minimum 300g for that species. If it was me and I had the room (and the cash!) I would get a custom tank made that has a longer footprint. Most standard tanks will be deep which is really unnecessary for the shark. Round corners are also recommended. There is a guy here who keeps sharks, I hope he doesn't mind me dropping his name here. He has an amazing 1000g tank! I find personal experience the most valuable when it comes to anything saltwater...
No the reason why it's a tragic story is that the shark only lived about 5 6 hours, but in that time he fell in love with the shark. I will have to look in to a custom tank.

Ah, that's no good. Do you have saltwater experience? Did you find out what happened to it?
No saltwater experience yet so from what I have heard I may have to wait on doing the shark for him. He was drunk when he was given it by a street vendor and when he tried to get it more water to swim in he used table salt. Since then we both have learned a lot but by the sounds of it we may need to start smaller and work our way to his shark.

Wow. Yes it's sounds like more research is needed. The guy who I recommended you check out had no experience in saltwater before, cgeck out his threads. Perhaps you should engage an expert to help you set it up maybe? Either way you will need plenty of space and money! Good luck with it all...

Back
Top Bottom