Wanting to convert my 125gal FW in to SW>>>Help is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pondmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello~

Right now I've got a 125gal FW tank w/2 Fluval 404's, an air stone that runs the length of my tank(under the gravel) and heaters.

I know I'll have to remove all the gravel and fish to convert my tank.
I just returned from a LFS and have lots of questions.

He told us to get 2 40# bags of crushed coral($35 each), 2 20# bags of live sand.($35 each)
We'd also need a protein skimmer($150), salt($50) , live rock($7/#), and liquid bacteria to get started($30).
Is this right? Where is the best place to get all these items to get started.
My not so LFS (45miles away)
Please help me on getting started with my new tank.
Right now I plan on fish & rock only. The fish are absolutely stunning.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Wanting to convert my 125gal FW in to SW>>>Help

pondmom said:
I know I'll have to remove all the gravel and fish to convert my tank.
Also remove the bubbler. They are not necessary and will case more problems than they are worth. Good surface aggitation will accomplish all you need and have less problems with ph and salt creep.

He told us to get 2 40# bags of crushed coral($35 each), 2 20# bags of live sand.($35 each)
Check your local HD for tropical play sand. That will be the same thing in most cases as aquarium sand. I would not suggest either the CC or LS they sell. The CC will end up creating problems with water quality or at the least a whole lot of maintenance on your part. I would stick with a basic sand substrate. Since you are entertaining the LR, the bagged wet (useless) sand they sell is not needed. The LR will colonize the bacteria and fauna to the dead sand you purchase doing the same thing

We'd also need a protein skimmer($150), salt($50) , live rock($7/#), and liquid bacteria to get started($30).
On a larger tank, a skimmer can make life alot easier in terms of weekly maintenance but did he mention the brand/model type? There are many out there that aren't worth much more than the pumps attahced to them. The salt is a yes but I would search the forum on the many differing opinions as to what might be a good brand. The bacteria in a bottle is another gimick really. The same thing can be accomplished for free. Might try reading this: How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

$7.00 for LR... Yikes 8O.

I would suggest checking with our sponsors and also look at augmenting the amount of rock you want with dry base rock. It will do much the same thing and is easily seeded with the addition of LR. The savings will be huge.

Cheers
Steve

So play sand is all that I'd need as my substrate? (cool) more $$ for fish :)

The skimmer in question was the Seaclone protein skimmer(is this a good one?)
How about fosters/smith for the live rock/coral?
Will my 2 Fluvals be enough?

The skimmer in question was the Seaclone protein skimmer(is this a good one?)

Nope, the seaclone might be ok for a much smaller tank. For a 125, you want to look into the AquaC EV180 or the larger one or an appropriately sized EuroReef skimmer, a turboflotor oe even a berlin skimmer.

How about fosters/smith for the live rock/coral?

Do a search on this site for LiveRocks.com many members have ordered and been very happy with both the service and the quality of the rock. FWIW, it has been a while since I have seen south pacific rock that could compete with the aquacultured rock coming out of FL.

Will my 2 Fluvals be enough?

With enough LR and base rock, they will only be necessary for polishing the water with carbon occasionally and for additional water movement.

Back
Top Bottom