Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepsWithFish View Post
A 300 watt heater is way to big. I would get a 150.
I already have it and theres no reason why it would be "To Big" it will heat just the same just quicker. the number of watts is just how hot the heater can get to heat up water. If you set the heater to 78 then the 300 watt heater will heat it to 78 and shut off just like a 150watt will the 300 watt will just do it in less time.

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Theres also size to consider. With a 29g it's kinda small so anywhere you can save a few inches is a good deal. I agree the 300w will do the same job but a 150w will be smaller.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Theres also size to consider. With a 29g it's kinda small so anywhere you can save a few inches is a good deal. I agree the 300w will do the same job but a 150w will be smaller.
Well I was planning on just positioning it horizontal across the top of the tank that way it really wont take up much room I wouldn't think.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Depends on how you set up your rock. If you place it against the back wall and stack it moderately high you run the chance of small critters like hermits climbing it and then the cord and then out of the tank they go. lol I've had it happen to me before.

I have it running up and down in one tank I have, across the back like you want on another tank that doesnt have much rock and one in the sump on my 125g. It's just a matter of what works for you.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Depends on how you set up your rock. If you place it against the back wall and stack it moderately high you run the chance of small critters like hermits climbing it and then the cord and then out of the tank they go. lol I've had it happen to me before.

I have it running up and down in one tank I have, across the back like you want on another tank that doesnt have much rock and one in the sump on my 125g. It's just a matter of what works for you.
ah good point, its my first SW tank so I wasnt thinking of it like that.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just talking from experience. I've sat here a few times and heard a plop and it was always a hermit or snail that got up the cord and fell to the floor. LOL

I don't have that issue much anymore since I've placed any cords that go into the tank in a way that things cant get up it that easily.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Just talking from experience. I've sat here a few times and heard a plop and it was always a hermit or snail that got up the cord and fell to the floor. LOL

I don't have that issue much anymore since I've placed any cords that go into the tank in a way that things cant get up it that easily.
I see from other threads that you know your saltwater rather well. Could you tell me what types of inverts I could have and if I could stop some anenomies for my little clowns and what they would require. Also what kind of sand would I need to get a Blenny?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

dont know if you've looked into HOB Protein Skimmers, or if you already have the AC70, but just to give you another option if your looking the Reef Octopus BH-100 is cheapish but really reliable. I have it on my 30 gallon tank and haven't had any problems out of it, and it collects all the nasties. Just another option if your still looking.

.:30 gallon FOWLR, 2 B&W Clowns & Lawnmower Blenny:.
BillyD918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:13 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ypu could get most any inverts you like. my personal favorite are shrimp. My first sw tank was a 29g and it went really really well.

You could get a couple of peppermint shrimp, maybe a cleaner or two or maybe a fire shrimp, they are an awesome red. I also keep porcelain crabs and emerald crabs, those guys are very entertaining. And of course the requisite snails and hermits if you like them.

Now I read above where yous said you would go fowlr if it meant getting to keep your dream fish, adn that would have been good for any lighting. BUT getting into nems you require pristine established water and super high light. Plus it's a crap shoot if the clowns will host or not, it's just as likely that they would host a rock or power head or coral. Oscellaris usually do better with the nem hosting though. My two sets were hosting a elegance coral almost to death, I had to give away the coral to save it.

What kind of blenny are you looking at? usually it's the gobies that require sand
Old 11-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ypu could get most any inverts you like. my personal favorite are shrimp. My first sw tank was a 29g and it went really really well.

You could get a couple of peppermint shrimp, maybe a cleaner or two or maybe a fire shrimp, they are an awesome red. I also keep porcelain crabs and emerald crabs, those guys are very entertaining. And of course the requisite snails and hermits if you like them.

Now I read above where yous said you would go fowlr if it meant getting to keep your dream fish, adn that would have been good for any lighting. BUT getting into nems you require pristine established water and super high light. Plus it's a crap shoot if the clowns will host or not, it's just as likely that they would host a rock or power head or coral. Oscellaris usually do better with the nem hosting though. My two sets were hosting a elegance coral almost to death, I had to give away the coral to save it.

What kind of blenny are you looking at? usually it's the gobies that require sand
Ok well I thought the clowns really liked nem but if it doesnt really matter then no true need for them, I think I should have high lighting with a 4x bulb t5ho light? Id like some shrimp Banded coral shrimp are cool and I have always wanted a Sea star like the Red Sea Star or the chocolate Chip sea star. a Midas Bleeny I really like. I just dont understand how stocking works how much I can stock and what not.

Also would a protein skimmer replace a HOB filter?

Tags
29 gallon, fowlr, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com