Wanting To Start A 29 Gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the guy who runs my LFS said that I cant run a tank without a protein skimmer, is this actually true? I mean from what I understand all it will cahnge is the amount of water changes I would have to preform?

In a 29g tank a skimmer is not a necessity. i ran one just fine without it. I'm also running a 29 cube and 20g w/o one now. It can only help but I definitely dont think its needed if you do proper water changes.

You dont wanna skip changing the water if you get a skimmer either, you still have to export nutrients out of your tank and thats the only way. You also wanna do the changes so you replenish any trace elents consumed by the animals in your tank. :-D

CleverBs said:
the guy who runs my LFS said that I cant run a tank without a protein skimmer, is this actually true? I mean from what I understand all it will cahnge is the amount of water changes I would have to preform?

That is bogus. Is it a good idea to run one? Yes! Do you need it? No. Not on a tank that small.

In a 29g tank a skimmer is not a necessity. i ran one just fine without it. I'm also running a 29 cube and 20g w/o one now. It can only help but I definitely dont think its needed if you do proper water changes.

You dont wanna skip changing the water if you get a skimmer either, you still have to export nutrients out of your tank and thats the only way. You also wanna do the changes so you replenish any trace elents consumed by the animals in your tank. :-D

how large of change should I do and how often? because im trying to figure out the cost of salt.

so id only have to change 3-4 gallons a week...I think Ill start off with a filter and upgrade to a skimmer when I set up my 40 gallon

I would just get a big thing of salt and call it a day for awhile. lol You can get 200g worth of salt for $50 and it comes sealed in 4 separate bags so it won't clump up or go bad.

You always wanna have some backup water just in case of something going wrong. :)

carey said:
I do 3g changes on my 29g and sometimes when I feel ambitious I do 6g. LOL

Lol that one made me laugh:)
To a hard core reefer feeling ambitious is doing a big water change, I love it!:D

CleverBs said:
where can I buy Live rock by the LB? My LFS want 9$ a lb for live rock around here...

Ha better then mine... if I bought at a local store I'm looking at around 10-12 a lb... your best bet is probably Google it and have it shipped like I'm doing lol

Its 142$ with Shipping if I bought All live figi rock from that site, However if I bought it from my LFS 35lbs Base and 10Lbs live it would cost me 157$. But this is only because its on sale and Im not ready to buy it yet...hope it stays on sale for a few weeks =/

what would i have to have to keep the live rock? I ask because its on sale and id want to get it while its still on sale.

Back
Top Bottom