Wanting To Start A 29 Gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just read this thread front to back and got some very interesting ideas/thoughts.... thanks every1 !!!!

I too am building a 29g

BTW..."Dead shrimp" to cycle the tank = dead shrimp from local food store?? lol

TRDfan said:
I just read this thread front to back and got some very interesting ideas/thoughts.... thanks every1 !!!!

I too am building a 29g

BTW..."Dead shrimp" to cycle the tank = dead shrimp from local food store?? lol

Yes, just regular shrimp.
I'm also following, should be getting a 29 gallon for Christmas!

I am now confused about what stage of the cycle process I am in because the tank shows that it is cycled but its only been a week and I cannot imagine that is correct.

I'm in week two of the shrimp cycle. Thus far my ammonia has spiked and was a 0 yesterday. Nitrite tho is at least 10, and my shrimp is looking quite gross, tho it is definitely breaking down. I try to be patient but I really want to add something living!!

What would give me the best flow? Id like to have a 1050 Korilia and a 425 it but is that to much? should I do a 425 and a 750? or a 425 and a 550? just not sure how to rate the flow honestly. Basicly I can do a combination of any GPH Korilia I own a 425 and a 1050 but I am buying one tonight and not sure what one to buy a 750 or a 550?

Well for a FOWLR, 10-20x turnover per hour is recommended as the minimum. 30-50x for a reef minimum.

For a 29 gallon you're looking at 580gph minimum. You would be fine with the 425 and the 550 technically, but it's sorta up to you. Some people like a little more flow in the tank, and realistically, unless you are beating fish up against the side of the tank, I think you're fine.

I know that Carey used (2) 750's in her 29 and thought it had very good flow.

Thats basically the same as your 1050 and 425 combined.

well i just bought a 750 so I could do the 1050 and 425 (60x Turnover) or the 750 and the 425 (47x Turnover) its going to be a reef tank not a FOWLR anymore.

added 15 more lbs of sand today, have about a 2-3inch sand bed now so I still got some left over sand Ill use for my HOB Fuge when i get one

Picture of it after my new rockscape that I like much much better along with the extra sand with my Double bright on it, The water is all cloudy from doing the sand but has cleared up nicely already.

img_1675103_0_737595283222bea089a18f90c93d310f.jpg

Looks good but you should try and keep a small gap between your rockwork and any pane of glass to help with flow, cleaning, and to help prevent some scratches

Today my tank has finished cycling! Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrate- ~30.

Now should I do a large water change? I want to get some clowns would It be safe to get them today>

You did the shrimp method right? It's hard to say if it's truly cycled unless you can dose ammo to 2ppm and it drops to zero in 24 hours. You are clearly either close or there... But without knowing how quickly ammo gets cycled, it's impossible to tell if you have enough bacteria yet.

If it were me, I would wait a tad longer, just to be sure that my first two fish weren't casualties. Then yes, do a pwc and get the nitrates down even more.

I am going to the store today to get some CUC but trying to decide what to get. I want to get some snails, Hermits, and maybe a few peppermint shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom