Wanting To Start A 29 Gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I want to tell you what I think I need to get for my setup and you tell me if its ok or what I need. I know lots about freshwater but not much about salt. This will be my first salt tank

Tank: 29 gallon breeder (was thinking 29 but to small)
Live Rock: 10lb's
Base Rock: 30lb's
Light: T5HO from Fish Need it (not sure if I should get a 2 or 4 bulb Probably need 4Bulb want to have the option of reef just dont know what it requires other then light)
Filter: Aquar Clear AC70
Heater: Fluval 300Watt (Already Have it)
Sand: Need Sand Ideas
Power Head:Koralia 750
Ro/Di Water

Fish I must have:
2x Black and White Clown Fish
Red Flame Angel Fish
2x Kaudern's Cardinal

Questions I have:
How Many Blue/Green Reef Chromis do you need to have and do I have room for them?

What does it take to take care of a Banded Coral Shrimp? and could I have one?

Why types of Inverts could I keep?

Do the Clowns need Anemones? Will my fish harm them?

Looking for any other thought on what fish I can have also how do I know how much I can stock?

I would suggest an AquaClear filter, I recommend AC50 or AC70.

About teh skimmers, I heard you don't NEED one for a tank that size, only if you want one. IDK, it's a controversial topic.

IMO if you're going to eventually do a reef (assuming from the comment on your light) I wouldn't do the flame angel. It's a 50/50 chance.

I think only one or two. A big school of chromis needs a bigger tank I believe.

I would suggest an AquaClear filter, I recommend AC50 or AC70.

About teh skimmers, I heard you don't NEED one for a tank that size, only if you want one. IDK, it's a controversial topic.

IMO if you're going to eventually do a reef (assuming from the comment on your light) I wouldn't do the flame angel. It's a 50/50 chance.

I think only one or two. A big school of chromis needs a bigger tank I believe.

K well i probably wont get the Chromis then, and get something different.

The red angel is a must so if I cant do reef because of it I wont be doing reef I love the way they look they are a stunning fish and the whole reason I want to do the tank. Is there a similar looking fish I could get that would be good in reefs?

well then no reef for now, I plan to turn my 75 gallon planted tank into salt reef down the road so that can be my reed tank so for now no more Reef needs Just FOWLR

Can I have more than

2 cardinals
Flame Angel
2 Black/white clowns
Maybe a blenny or something? Some type of shrimp? IDK what my options are.

So I thought I wasnt going to do a 29 gallon and do a 40 instead but found that I cant because it wont fit wear I want to put it so Ill keep a 29 and then switch to the 40 gallon when I move in a year, So ill just get all the equipment rated for a 40 gallon tank so that its an easy switch.

Try to go for a 6 bulb T5ho unit if your using it on a the breeder. Or go for a HQI if heat is not an issue.

A 300 watt heater is way to big. I would get a 150.

I already have it and theres no reason why it would be "To Big" it will heat just the same just quicker. the number of watts is just how hot the heater can get to heat up water. If you set the heater to 78 then the 300 watt heater will heat it to 78 and shut off just like a 150watt will the 300 watt will just do it in less time.

Theres also size to consider. With a 29g it's kinda small so anywhere you can save a few inches is a good deal. I agree the 300w will do the same job but a 150w will be smaller. :)

Theres also size to consider. With a 29g it's kinda small so anywhere you can save a few inches is a good deal. I agree the 300w will do the same job but a 150w will be smaller. :)

Well I was planning on just positioning it horizontal across the top of the tank that way it really wont take up much room I wouldn't think.

Depends on how you set up your rock. If you place it against the back wall and stack it moderately high you run the chance of small critters like hermits climbing it and then the cord and then out of the tank they go. lol I've had it happen to me before.

I have it running up and down in one tank I have, across the back like you want on another tank that doesnt have much rock and one in the sump on my 125g. It's just a matter of what works for you.

Depends on how you set up your rock. If you place it against the back wall and stack it moderately high you run the chance of small critters like hermits climbing it and then the cord and then out of the tank they go. lol I've had it happen to me before.

I have it running up and down in one tank I have, across the back like you want on another tank that doesnt have much rock and one in the sump on my 125g. It's just a matter of what works for you.

ah good point, its my first SW tank so I wasnt thinking of it like that.

Just talking from experience. I've sat here a few times and heard a plop and it was always a hermit or snail that got up the cord and fell to the floor. LOL

I don't have that issue much anymore since I've placed any cords that go into the tank in a way that things cant get up it that easily.

Just talking from experience. I've sat here a few times and heard a plop and it was always a hermit or snail that got up the cord and fell to the floor. LOL

I don't have that issue much anymore since I've placed any cords that go into the tank in a way that things cant get up it that easily.

I see from other threads that you know your saltwater rather well. Could you tell me what types of inverts I could have and if I could stop some anenomies for my little clowns and what they would require. Also what kind of sand would I need to get a Blenny?

dont know if you've looked into HOB Protein Skimmers, or if you already have the AC70, but just to give you another option if your looking the Reef Octopus BH-100 is cheapish but really reliable. I have it on my 30 gallon tank and haven't had any problems out of it, and it collects all the nasties. Just another option if your still looking.

Ypu could get most any inverts you like. :) my personal favorite are shrimp. My first sw tank was a 29g and it went really really well.

You could get a couple of peppermint shrimp, maybe a cleaner or two or maybe a fire shrimp, they are an awesome red. I also keep porcelain crabs and emerald crabs, those guys are very entertaining. And of course the requisite snails and hermits if you like them.

Now I read above where yous said you would go fowlr if it meant getting to keep your dream fish, adn that would have been good for any lighting. BUT getting into nems you require pristine established water and super high light. Plus it's a crap shoot if the clowns will host or not, it's just as likely that they would host a rock or power head or coral. Oscellaris usually do better with the nem hosting though. My two sets were hosting a elegance coral almost to death, I had to give away the coral to save it.

What kind of blenny are you looking at? usually it's the gobies that require sand :)

Ypu could get most any inverts you like. :) my personal favorite are shrimp. My first sw tank was a 29g and it went really really well.

You could get a couple of peppermint shrimp, maybe a cleaner or two or maybe a fire shrimp, they are an awesome red. I also keep porcelain crabs and emerald crabs, those guys are very entertaining. And of course the requisite snails and hermits if you like them.

Now I read above where yous said you would go fowlr if it meant getting to keep your dream fish, adn that would have been good for any lighting. BUT getting into nems you require pristine established water and super high light. Plus it's a crap shoot if the clowns will host or not, it's just as likely that they would host a rock or power head or coral. Oscellaris usually do better with the nem hosting though. My two sets were hosting a elegance coral almost to death, I had to give away the coral to save it.

What kind of blenny are you looking at? usually it's the gobies that require sand :)

Ok well I thought the clowns really liked nem but if it doesnt really matter then no true need for them, I think I should have high lighting with a 4x bulb t5ho light? Id like some shrimp Banded coral shrimp are cool and I have always wanted a Sea star like the Red Sea Star or the chocolate Chip sea star. a Midas Bleeny I really like. I just dont understand how stocking works how much I can stock and what not.

Also would a protein skimmer replace a HOB filter?

Back
Top Bottom