Originally Posted by Mattyfelts
Just wondering if I'm going to start a nano tank what should I get. Please answer with the following info: 1. Tank Size 2. Filtration, powerheads?, heating, and any other technology i need 3. Where and what live rock should i get 4. Corals ? 5. Should i get a clean up crew and what fish? (I heard clown fish were good and i love them so maybe one?) 5. OH i almost forgot, substrate what kind etc. 6. Any other useful info, thanks alot you guys
Very common questions, I'm sure lots of posts to follow....
1. Tank size, easy answer is the bigger the better but really it depends on budget, features, livestock and what you like. Smaller than 20 gal
really limits the live stock.
2. Some nanos are all in ones (filters/pumps built in). Power heads can always be added if required.
3. Your local fish store is a good place for LR
, roughly a pound per gallon. Online retailers are good bit you won't get to pick the pieces you want.
4. Liveaquaria had a good section for both nano fish and corals. Go slow and really watch them.
5. CUC's are great and help a lot, clown fish are some of the best, also gobys and blennies. See liveaquaria. Use live sand for substrate, type is up to you.
6. Keep reading forums, tons of info. Go slow, I started 4 nanos in 4 months and I've been through a lifetimes worth of issues. Stay on top of your water tests and water changes. Most importantly, ENJOY!